Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Antelope hunting in Wyoming >

Antelope hunting in Wyoming

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope hunting in Wyoming

Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Spike

So your saying most people just drive around and road hunt. Thats not us at all we will be on our feet, the way it sounds thats the best option. Thanks for the map and the input much appreciated!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is alot of area to cover so you will be driving as well but what I think he means is drive to an area and get out and walk. Alot of it is flat and alot of it has rolling hills with some pretty deep ravines. Walking will increase your odds.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Spike

got ya thats what were planning on doing thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Spike

Contact the game warden for the area, and chamber's of commerce for the larger towns. Both can give you information on landowner's who allow hunting and/or best public hunting areas. You should have a great time if you draw. If not, check for leftover tags.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Does a hunter have to register an antelope?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Spike

good question I dont know guess that will be something to find out if we get tags. Are you planning a hunt also?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, I want to go with my 14 yr old son. He kind of would rather go bear hunting but I'd rather go do what I've never done before. I am also lost but have been there before but have been told it's not that hard so it might be the ticket for my kid. He is bummed over deer in Wisconsin. He did get a nice doe when he was 12 but last year he saw very little.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Spike

What regions did you apply for and whats the season date. I have actually learned a lot just over the internet, and yes it does sound pretty simple and I guess its a lot of fun! Deer hunting in Wis is not as easy as it used to be especially for young kids.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Cool

I didn't apply yet. I'm just getting started on this, hoping you lead the way so I don't screw up. I don't think it's that hard but seems like a lot of work and seems strange hunting something somewhere I never hunted before.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys! I'm glad I happened to see this thread. I was in 27 and 7 last year and the areas are just as mentioned. 27 is hard to draw without at least 1 Preference Point, but 7 should have some leftover tags in case you put in and don't get a tag in the drawing. It has about 20,000 acres of WIHA (walkin in private property that is marked and free for anyone to hunt) and there are maps of it on the F&G website if you go into the public land hunting areas and take a look at the Weston County maps. There is also quite a bit of National Grassland and some BLM land that is all open to hunting. I would suggest that whatever unit that you hunt that you go out after the first few days and let the opening week crowd head for home. Also, do as suggested and get away from your vehicle. Slip up and do a lot of glassing without exposing yourself over ridgetops and when you find what you want plan a stalk to get within good range. Make sure and have shooting sticks, a bipod, or tripod to shoot from as they are a small animal and at any distance you need to have a good rest to make a good shot. It is not necessary to register your animal, but the tag needs to be notched and signed as soon as you take the animal. It can be carried until you get to your vehicle and then it should be attached to the animal. Don't be afraid to go out and have fun. You can camp on just about any of the federal land or stay in a motel in the town of Newcastle, which is only a few miles east of unit 7, but a pretty good drive from unit 27. The leftover tags will go on sale online on the F&G website in July if you didn't apply for the drawing by 3/15 and can be purchased with a credit card. If you have any other questions, fire away and I'll try to give any help I can.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-28-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.