HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antelope hunting in Wyoming
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys! I'm glad I happened to see this thread. I was in 27 and 7 last year and the areas are just as mentioned. 27 is hard to draw without at least 1 Preference Point, but 7 should have some leftover tags in case you put in and don't get a tag in the drawing. It has about 20,000 acres of WIHA (walkin in private property that is marked and free for anyone to hunt) and there are maps of it on the F&G website if you go into the public land hunting areas and take a look at the Weston County maps. There is also quite a bit of National Grassland and some BLM land that is all open to hunting. I would suggest that whatever unit that you hunt that you go out after the first few days and let the opening week crowd head for home. Also, do as suggested and get away from your vehicle. Slip up and do a lot of glassing without exposing yourself over ridgetops and when you find what you want plan a stalk to get within good range. Make sure and have shooting sticks, a bipod, or tripod to shoot from as they are a small animal and at any distance you need to have a good rest to make a good shot. It is not necessary to register your animal, but the tag needs to be notched and signed as soon as you take the animal. It can be carried until you get to your vehicle and then it should be attached to the animal. Don't be afraid to go out and have fun. You can camp on just about any of the federal land or stay in a motel in the town of Newcastle, which is only a few miles east of unit 7, but a pretty good drive from unit 27. The leftover tags will go on sale online on the F&G website in July if you didn't apply for the drawing by 3/15 and can be purchased with a credit card. If you have any other questions, fire away and I'll try to give any help I can.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-28-2011 at 07:18 PM.