Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
colorado elk hunting- unit 67 >

colorado elk hunting- unit 67

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

colorado elk hunting- unit 67

Old 02-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default colorado elk hunting- unit 67

My dad, brother and I are going to be hunting unit 67 in the 2011 muzzy,elk season. We are going to be doing a do it your self hunt and plan on camping some where. I’m looking for any info from any who has hunted this unit! Looking for some public areas to start hunting in? Also looking for places that we can camp? For my brother and me, this will be are first elk hunt, so we are not looking for a monster elk, but more for areas where we might see some descent numbers of elk.My dad has been bow hunting over the counter units in Colorado for the last 20 years and saving his points in hopes of hunting unit 2, and he has been saving points for us for while now too. I've been looking at maps of the unit and the southern border looks like it is very high altitude, do we have to hunt in this area or are there elk in some of the lower altitude areas? I am also wondering if any one knows if there are any elk this time of year near saw-tooth mountain or south of there? Thanks for any info. Adam Wipperfurth
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My family has hunted that area since the late 60's. PM sent
Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Spike

Default unit 67

I have hunted 66 and 68 with a bow the same time of year you will be hunting. It is a very good unit with a lot of 300 to 350 class bulls.
I have some bad news it will be hot and you may not hear any. With the bulls not talking they will be hard to find. FYI 67 is a draw unit How do you know you will get the tag? If you do hunt the south end by unit 76 and 66. Hunt the north side of Baldy Chato a friend hunts there. That time of the year the elk should be at the tree line, but you never know. Cover lots of ground use good optics, if you do not see elk move to another drainage or ridge till you find them. I stopped hunting elk with a bow two years ago, they talk more in Oct. these days. I killed a 6x6 about 30 miles from there with the
30-06 this year and a 4x4 buck with the bow. Good Luck

baldy
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

If you guys are saving your points up for unit 2, make sure that you DON'T get 1st choice draw tags for unit 67 because if you do, you will loose all your points. A lot of people don't realize that you loose all your points on a 1st choice draw. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Spike

roger, Thanks for the info, from the information ive been getting, sounds like your right about haveing to hunt south end of 67 this time of year. I dont know that i am getting a elk tag for 67, but i have 10 points and every one with 8 points drew last year. Im crossing my fingures. Thanks for he hunting spots, I mark them on my map.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Spike

Cajun, My brother and I are planning on useing are 10 points this year on 67 elk. My dad has 20 points for elk and is putting in for unit 2 rifle tag once again! Hoping this will be his year! He also has 6 mule deer points, he puting those in on unit 67 muzzy deer, and will be calling for us helping us a bit, because we are rookies when it comes to elk hunting! Thanks for the info,

Adam Wipp
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by adamwipp07
Cajun, My brother and I are planning on useing are 10 points this year on 67 elk. My dad has 20 points for elk and is putting in for unit 2 rifle tag once again! Hoping this will be his year! He also has 6 mule deer points, he puting those in on unit 67 muzzy deer, and will be calling for us helping us a bit, because we are rookies when it comes to elk hunting! Thanks for the info,

Adam Wipp

Right on! Just wanted to make sure you knew how the points / 1st choice draw works. A lot of folks get surprised every year.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Howler
My family has hunted that area since the late 60's. PM sent
Thanks for the p.m.! lots of good info, not many people are willing to share good hunting spots. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Adam Wipperfurth
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Spike

You need to get a map of the area, and a good topo one. You need to come a week ahead to scout and get your camp in. Well for info on how to scout out elk and hunt them without disrupting their routine and jumping them. This website puts the dyi info out there www.publiclandforthepoorman.com
easy read enjoy!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Spike

Thanks for every ones posts!! Wondering if any one here has hunted deer in 67? if so will the deer be up high in september also? Also do mule deer and elk seem to be in the same areas? Thanks again for all your help, this site has been great!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.