Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Problems with outfitters

Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default Problems with outfitters

I notice on this forum there are quite a few guides,people tha hunt with guides or people that sell hunts for the outfitter.My question is this how many diy hunters had run ins with outfitters im not talking about trespassing because i know and strongly believe dont hunt without permission. The last three years where i hunt i noticed a change in outfitters i have been told i cant hunt here,move on this is his area for his clients and have had them come thruogh once they see us and just make a rackett scaring off game while we are hunting.So with these outfitters on here are u threaten by diy hunters.how about people that go on a guided hunt does it bother you when you are with an outfitter to see hunters that arent with a guide.Dont take this wrong im not saying i hate outfitters just think they shouldnt be so protective of the area they are hunting on if its not leased or private. Public gound is owned by everyone. Just curious on this subject.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

dude, i woulda just followed them around. alot of those clowns are just selling hunts online, an unsuspecting buyer doesnt even know its public hunting lands..you will know, cause the "outfitter" will have the cost of the license included in the hunt for outta staters.
dont be intimidated, tell him where ta shove it, or ask fer a card, and post it online with his name, so other guys can maybe just stumble across it..
if i get an outfitter..lol yeah right.. i wouldnt wanna be on public lands huntin with the weekend crowd..i wanna be the only bow around fer a long ways.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Spike

I understand your frustration 100% Joemontana. I worked for an outfitter in MT a few years ago and it was only on private land so the ranches were leased and we had the hunting rights. Now when it comes to the outfitters that hunt public land, tough [email protected] for them having it all to themselves. It is public land and you are correct, you have every right to hunt there! It is a bunch of crap that they will scare game out of the area when they realize you are there. That makes a horrible name for outfitters and their businesses. If they have these high paying clients coming in, they better advise their hunters that they are hunting on private land and they may have run ins with other hunters. So stand your ground if they ever try to make you leave public land! Good luck in your future hunts.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Agree

Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post
I understand your frustration 100% Joemontana. I worked for an outfitter in MT a few years ago and it was only on private land so the ranches were leased and we had the hunting rights. Now when it comes to the outfitters that hunt public land, tough [email protected] for them having it all to themselves. It is public land and you are correct, you have every right to hunt there! It is a bunch of crap that they will scare game out of the area when they realize you are there. That makes a horrible name for outfitters and their businesses. If they have these high paying clients coming in, they better advise their hunters that they are hunting on private land and they may have run ins with other hunters. So stand your ground if they ever try to make you leave public land! Good luck in your future hunts.
I totally agree with Halfbaked and HuntinGuy. We have a lot of that here in Kentucky. Never thought I would ever be able to say that though. Herd is new and expanding rapidly. Everybody trying to take control of public hunting areas. If it happens to me, can't say what I would do. Especially if they ran the game off.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a outfitter in Colorado on public land only. If you were running hunters off public land in Colorado #1 the division of wildlife would write you a ticket for harassing hunters, #2 you could lose your forest service permit over enough hunters saying your running them off, and #3 most outfitters are well educated in their area and are not threatened by diy hunters that haven't even set foot in the country. You'd have to be a real idiot to run off hunters sometimes hunters not in your party can help you out by moving game. Provided your smart enough to know where the animals exit routes are.

If I ran into an outfitter that was like that I'd do my best to have him removed from the area and have his permits taken away(BTW those permitted areas are not free Outfitters do pay the Forest Service for them along with insurance, bonds and state outfitter registration). On the other hand I have come across a few camps in the past where people said who are you? We've camped here for years and I've never seen a camp there before or the people. And I would know I'm use those area's everyday of every season. I just laugh and ride on. People!!!!!! Only the rocks live forever it belongs to all of us for the short time we are here. Better remind your government that it belongs to all of us.

I do feel you on this but I haven't came across an actual account in this area with other outfitters.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a run in with only one outfitter on public land. I told him to pound sand! Public ground is public ground.
Should I ever have to move from the west??? I would only book an outfitter that hunts on private land.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only run in I ever had was in reverse. I was with an outfitter who hunts public and private land. I was with one of his guides who was bringing me to a tree stand over a wallow, on public land. We got there to find a local in the stand. The guide wasn't sure what to do, we backed out quietly, took off down a trail and did some calling. I was not really happy, but it was public land.

We told the outfitter.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk View Post
I'm a outfitter in Colorado on public land only. If you were running hunters off public land in Colorado #1 the division of wildlife would write you a ticket for harassing hunters, #2 you could lose your forest service permit over enough hunters saying your running them off, and #3 most outfitters are well educated in their area and are not threatened by diy hunters that haven't even set foot in the country. You'd have to be a real idiot to run off hunters sometimes hunters not in your party can help you out by moving game. Provided your smart enough to know where the animals exit routes are.

If I ran into an outfitter that was like that I'd do my best to have him removed from the area and have his permits taken away(BTW those permitted areas are not free Outfitters do pay the Forest Service for them along with insurance, bonds and state outfitter registration). On the other hand I have come across a few camps in the past where people said who are you? We've camped here for years and I've never seen a camp there before or the people. And I would know I'm use those area's everyday of every season. I just laugh and ride on. People!!!!!! Only the rocks live forever it belongs to all of us for the short time we are here. Better remind your government that it belongs to all of us.

I do feel you on this but I haven't came across an actual account in this area with other outfitters.
What he just said.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

From a hunters view thats been on guided hunts w/ a outfitter on Colorado's public land. First off if my guide spoke like that to fellow hunters I'd tell him he's done being my guide. Thats just being disrespectful. It does suck when you pay for a hunt, and run into other hunters in same area. But its just part of it. Something you have to except. In one particular case my guide & I had setup on the edge of a meadow with a small pond, and a good elk wallow spot. During prime time we start hearing bugle, after bugle, after bugle, then cow calls, after cow calls, after cow calls, about nonstop. Then we see these 2 hunters working the opposite side along edge dark timber. Just walking & calling nonstop. Obvious amatuers. So my guide & I packed it up, said were just wasting our time here. On our way out, we ran into those 2 hunters, and my guide actually spoke to them very politely. They admitted to being new to Elk hunting. My guide offered them plenty of good advice. It was wasting my hunting time, but I totally respected how he handled it. Thats how it should be. Hunters helping hunters!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

I don't usually get involved in the "anti-outfitter" threads but I'll make an exception here. I outfit on public land and we kill bulls every year whether or not somebody is in there. We pack into camp on horseback in a roadless area, effectively eliminating 99% of the competition from the general public. I have had issues with the general public at the trailhead when I ask them to move their vehicles out of our way so we can get our stock trailers etc in. They do not realize we have the northern half of the trailhead leased from the USFS. I put up signs that the USFS sends me but the general public just tears them down.
We go out of our way to spend money locally and we enjoy an excellent reputation in our local community. We treat everybody with respect and on more than one occassion I have donated a mule to help a local pull his elk out.

Last year a 13 year old girl and her dad came into our area and killed a 376" bull during archery. Can you imagine how I felt! Well, I will tell you. This Friday, Two Bear Outfitters will be donating a check to cover the balance of her taxidermist bill to have that bull mounted. Her family is very poor and she has an ear problem that cost her about 95% of her hearing! They threw a spagetti dinner as a benefit to try and get her the bull mounted, but they came up well short, we are covering the remaining balance and I am proud of that little girl and her family. It will be in the local newspaper and when they run the story I will post a link to it on this site.

We work very hard with being good stewards of the land, and representatives for the hunting community. I let bowhunters hunt my river bottom lease for free and have helped local businesses for years. Some people seem to forget the outfitters are sportsman too. I do not own an outfitting biz for the money, because frankly, there isn't any. I own it because I enjoy the fellowship of other hunters, the beauty of the mountains, and the pursuit of wild and wonderful critters. It is a lifestyle choice more than a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.