Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900! >

MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
  #51  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location:
Posts: 2,395
Default

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Would you still buy an elk tag if it went up to $50? $75? $100? for a bull elk tag?

You really think an increase is in the future for residents? I could see $19 going to $24 haha, but certainly not $40 or $50.

Make a resident bull elk tag $75, a non-res bull $750, res cow $20, non-res cow $100.

know how many non-res would buy a bonus cow tag if they were $100 or less? nowadays I bet almost no non-res buys a 2nd cow tag for like $300? ie for a meat tag? it would go from 0 to thousands, talk about increased income!
I would pay $50 for a Montana resident elk tag. I used to pay $50 for a Wyoming elk tag when I lived in Wyoming. IMHO Wyoming is a better state to hunt that Montana.
I currently apply for a Wyoming non-resident type-6 Cow/Calf elk license every year. My total cost for this tag this year was $302.00 mailed to my door. I will be happy to apply for this cow/calf only tag again next year. I think Wyoming has a great deal offering a cow tag at this price. I am happy to pass up a bull and take home a tasty cow.
I might be the exception to the rule on the board, I am a meat hunter not a horn hunter.
Wolf killer is offline  
Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
  #52  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,575
Default

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
I would pay $50 for a Montana resident elk tag. I used to pay $50 for a Wyoming elk tag when I lived in Wyoming. IMHO Wyoming is a better state to hunt that Montana.
I currently apply for a Wyoming non-resident type-6 Cow/Calf elk license every year. My total cost for this tag this year was $302.00 mailed to my door. I will be happy to apply for this cow/calf only tag again next year. I think Wyoming has a great deal offering a cow tag at this price. I am happy to pass up a bull and take home a tasty cow.
I might be the exception to the rule on the board, I am a meat hunter not a horn hunter.
How come you don't just buy a cow tag for MT?
Have more fun in WY?
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 AM
  #53  
Fork Horn
 
Muley70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: beautiful western montana
Posts: 193
Default

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Would you still buy an elk tag if it went up to $50? $75? $100? for a bull elk tag?

You really think an increase is in the future for residents? I could see $19 going to $24 haha, but certainly not $40 or $50.

Make a resident bull elk tag $75, a non-res bull $750, res cow $20, non-res cow $100.

know how many non-res would buy a bonus cow tag if they were $100 or less? nowadays I bet almost no non-res buys a 2nd cow tag for like $300? ie for a meat tag? it would go from 0 to thousands, talk about increased income!
I think the tags are going to have to go up. You cannot raise NR tags in a down economy by the extent we did and see no reprecussions in sales. We are in a circle pattern right now waiting to see the markets reaction to the NR tag increase. Probably 1/3 of the NR sales will be to outfitters clients, looks like we will have to bail the state out again.
Muley70 is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
  #54  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location:
Posts: 2,395
Default

Originally Posted by salukipv1
How come you don't just buy a cow tag for MT?
Have more fun in WY?

I apply for the Wyoming cow tag because I prefer to hunt in Wyoming. The Wyoming rifle season opens earlier when the winter weather is not as much of a factor as it can be in Montana.
I also feel Wyoming has better elk hunting.
My hat goes off to the Wyoming Game & Fish, they do a great job managing there wildlife!
Wolf killer is offline  
Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 AM
  #55  
Typical Buck
 
justhuntitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 674
Default

You say the animals are yours (states) what about these wolves?
justhuntitall is offline  
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM
  #56  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Allenton Wis.
Posts: 186
Default

Paying 19 dollars for an elk tag is very cheap. It cost 3 bucks to make it. It is way off balance and 950 is really too much. Oh well, I was thinking of going to N.E. Montana to shoot a whitetail. Looks like I won't be going there neither. 500 for a whitetail? It's an awfull lot.
ihookem1 is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
  #57  
Spike
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3
Default

You guys seem to know more details than I about I-161 but if I recall back a few years ago I apply NR in maybe '04 timeframe for elk. Seemed at that time resident application revenue was something like $7MM and Non Res was $19MM. What these legislators don't comprehend is it will hurt the rest of small businesses that get money from the sportsmen travelling into the state. The application revenue will also likely drop under this legislation as people including myself will go elsewhere. And, if it's BLM or Forest Service ground why can't everyone access it at the same price. Can't wait until I can move to WY, MT or ID and pay as much as I do for a case of beer to hunt elk.
sleepymoe is offline  
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
  #58  
Spike
 
joemontana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: montana
Posts: 36
Default

i live in montana also and yes the tag is high. but it still cheaper to buy the tag and do it yourself instead of hiring a outfitter. montana has a ton of public land and 90% of outfitters take their clients on public land. so buy the tag and hunt on your on like a resident does and its not that expnsive or move here and hunt for less and pay the state taxes.
joemontana is offline  
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 AM
  #59  
Typical Buck
 
justhuntitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 674
Default

I have been hunting out west for 15 years and have never hired a guide in any state . I can go to Colorado buy their tag and still do it cheaper then the cost of Montana's tag price.

With that said that's what Montana residents want, they want the nonresidents out of there so be it .
justhuntitall is offline  
Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 AM
  #60  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 595
Default

"resident application revenue was something like $7MM and Non Res was $19MM"

if these numbers are even close to right then I think it is time you start paying for "YOUR OWN WILDLIFE". What did you guys get for our $19mm anyways? Big Brother most likely will benefit more than you guys.

And everything will be overpriced. It is supply and demand. I don't mind paying to do something I can't here in ny but when is enough going to be enough.
WNYhunter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.