Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Advise please

Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Spike

Default Advise please

Going to be hunting CO and WY next year for Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk. This is a once in a lifetime trip, and I would like a bit of advice from you more experienced guys.
I only want to bring one rifle with me, so I have to pick something that will work well on all three animals I am going to be looking for.
Going under the theory that "you can never be over-gunned, but it is possible to be under-gunned", I am planning to bring my .338 Win Mag to use for all game. I figure on the 225 grainer for Elk and Deer, but I am wondering if this round will simply kill, gut, and skin an Antelope all at the same time. I don't want a grenade effect if it can be avoided.
So, what about my using a heavier and tougher bullet (250 - 275 gr.) on Antelope in order to minimize meat damage? I realize that this will require different sight settings, but I can count clicks as well as the next guy. Or, should I simply use a 250 grainer for everything?
What do you think?
Thanks

Last edited by Yankee Doodle; 11-15-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

You dont need anything larger then a 180 grain round to kill all 3.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would load the 210 Nosler Partition as an all around bullet for this type of hunting with a .338 WM, or a similar weight Nosler AccruBond or other brands of tough bullet. I have had the 210 give nice exit holes in bull elk and it shoots flat enough to make it effective on other game. I have shot elk and mulies with this bullet, but have not shot an antelope with it. I doubt that any tough bullet from a .338 would waste much meat on a tiny antelope.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

that 338 will go right through an antelope, so they may run a bit like they weren't hit, but they'll go down! I wouldn't worry about too much damage on the antelope.

It should do the job well on all 3!

You'll prob have less meat damage with a 338 than a 270, course bullet for bullet may determine that.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I'd suggest using the Federal 180 grain Accubonds or 210 Partitions
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Cool

First n foremost......you coming this far, things happen to rifles n scopes. Bring a SPARE!!!!!
Dan
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by longknife12
First n foremost......you coming this far, things happen to rifles n scopes. Bring a SPARE!!!!!
Dan
Yeah I agree. I tried posting the same thing this morning but my comment wouldn't post.If this is your hunt of a lifetime bring a spare gun and scope.Cause not everybody is willing to share their equipment if it's their hunt of a lifetime. I always bring a spare, it may sit in my truck for ten days and I may have to hike 10,000 ft down and another 10,000 feet back up, but I won't be going home..338 is just fine for the animals, If you use premium bullets there won't be any meat damage. The worst case it will pencil through the antelope and it will run some distance but should be very easy to find in open country.I myself would use the 185 grain Barnes MRX as my bullet choice.It's meant for pronghorn to kudo ,Offers great expansion at close range and far range.Great retained energy at long
ranges and deep penatrating.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amen, I wouldn't be going on my trip of a lifetime with one rifle and no back up. mY main gun would be a 300wm. 165 gr for the lope and muley and 180 gr for the elk. Like stated above you go with the 180 for all 3.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

I really would try the 180's and see how they group....U might not be real happy..... this bullet will not carry nor will it buck any kind of wind with its low BC....just quit trying to think about it so much....find the ammo that groups best out of your rifle and go with that......... it's really quite simple!!!!!! and for sure have a back up rifle!!! but also make sure it and you are compatible just don't borrow your nieghbors gun and call it good!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by finnbear
I really would try the 180's and see how they group....U might not be real happy..... this bullet will not carry nor will it buck any kind of wind with its low BC....just quit trying to think about it so much....find the ammo that groups best out of your rifle and go with that......... it's really quite simple!!!!!! and for sure have a back up rifle!!! but also make sure it and you are compatible just don't borrow your nieghbors gun and call it good!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all for the good advice.
I didn't think I would need to mention that I will be bringing a second rifle as a spare, as this is the only sensible thing to do. As it works out, this is also a .338, sort of. (Love the .33 caliber, & have 3. .338 Win Mag., .340 Weatherby Mag, .338 RUM.) Have taken whitetail, boar, bear, caribou & moose with these, and now I try for those mentioned.
Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.