Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Antelope Gun choice....??? >

Antelope Gun choice....???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope Gun choice....???

Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
All good rnds....my point is he already has the .300, use that ....if he wants to buy a new gun/ barrel just do it don't try to justify it by say he has to have it to do this hunt!!!
I agree and that's why I posted on my 7mm Rem Mag. I would MUCH rather have a little overkill than be undergunned.

As mentioned before, on a windy day on the antelope flats that .300 is gonna buck the wind a LOT better than a light round.

Use a premium bullet that will stay together and you'll be fine and won't blow a huge hole in the side of the antelope.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

last year in Wyoming I used Federal ammo 180 grain Trophy Tips for my 300 RUM I just didnt know how far of a shot I might have to make

Last edited by 300ultramagshooter; 11-15-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

So if I was to stay with my .300 Win Mag...what grain bullet?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

what shoots best in yer gun???..............use that!!!!!! but iffn ya want a .243 buy it don't try and justify why U need it.............but use yer rnd ya got all that confidence in!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have only shot a 180 grain out of it. Trust me I have no issue just using it....I love it....just felt it was a little over gunned for the task...but hey I guess having more then you need is better then not enough. The issue is "if" I need ot make a 400+yd shot thats a good haul for a 180 grain slug...or am I overthinking this deal.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Probably..............just sight it in at 300yds be about 8 in high at 200 and around 14 low at 400 .....the bullet will have plenty of poop to get the job done U just need to get it in the kill zone...on an antelope I have no idea how big it is but on a mulie U got 8/10 inches to hit and on a elk around 22 in just find a good set of ballistics for the cartrige U are shootin and study it and then go and shoot it alot and in different conditions!!!