Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado cow elk

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado cow elk

I just got home from a tough cow elk hunt. Full moon, high winds, and no snow added up to elk that stayed high and went to timber early. I did not even see any elk below 10,500 with a spotting scope. Strangely enough I could have taken a bull on most days, but it took six long hard days to finally drop a cow. I switched from carrying a nice light .270 to a big heavy .300 WM after it became obvious that any shot would be much longer than usual this year. A 180 NP did the work at 348 yards. Normally I would not shoot a cow at this long of a range, but this time it was go long or go home empty handed.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats!! Way to adapt. Any pics?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

So they didn't have their head down feeding and undisturbed???? (just kidding!!)

Congrats, and good shooting!! (Post some pics)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog View Post
So they didn't have their head down feeding and undisturbed???? (just kidding!!)(Post some pics)
The elk nearly beat me this year. After six days of chasing those critters around the steep slopes and loose rocks I had a purple ankle and a swollen knee from climbing in the dark. I was very lucky to get within long rifle range of a cow (any cow). A few times I was within range of lone bulls that had their heads down feeding but the cows were bunched up and stayed high in the timber. If I had held out for a normal shot on a relaxed cow like past hunts, I would have had to eat my tag! I guess that is the beauty of our sport, you never know what will happen.
I didn't take any pictures, and wouldn't know how to post them anyhow.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice. Congrats !
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice ! Congrats !
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on a successful hunt.......don't wanna start any ****e but the .270 would have been MORE than adequate for that shot!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear View Post
congrats on a successful hunt.......don't wanna start any ****e but the .270 would have been MORE than adequate for that shot!
The difference was more the rifle than the cartridge. The .270 was a very light number (700 Mtn. Rifle) that is a joy to carry, and the .300 WM was a 700 with a mid weight 26" custom tube, bipod, and a bigger scope that I use for open country bull elk. The .270 was loaded with 140 grain AccuBonds and should have had enough gas at that range, but I was more comfortable with the other rifle for shots over 300 yards.