Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
obvious problem in colorado II >

obvious problem in colorado II

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

obvious problem in colorado II

Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Spike

Angry obvious problem in colorado II

I just returned from colorado elk hunting and exprienced the same problem as buckalley, only a little worse. SHEEP!!. The local rancher leased the grazing rights to this area where I was hunting. He didn't move the sheep in until sept 1. There were 3 non english speaking gentlemen riding horses with dogs constantly. They would push these sheep back about about 3 miles and then push them down to a big basin. The basin is public ground. A hunter camping next to us went down there and was greeted by the ranchers outfitting service, along with the eight hunters and four guides and was basically told to find someplace else to hunt. I ussually give people the benefit of the doubt, but what got me the most was when I met one of these sheep herders riding through the woods yelling and dogs barking, but no sheep within a mile of him. I wonder what he was trying to chase towards that basin? worst of all they even pushed sheep right trough our camp. talk about a stinky mess. I am a farmer and there is only 1 reason to move these animals, to move elk. There was tremendous vegitation for them to feed on, and they just kept pushing them through it. who can I file a complaint with? I guess it may be easier to just find a new elk hunting state!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Spike

Well they are putting wells in all over where we hunt......Try to compete with that money. They put in new roads an tear up the ridges and evrywhere else they drill. We never know if our spot will be there when we go back.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

You should have gone out to where you could get cell service and call the DOW and Forest Service while they were still there. You can call and complain now but unless you have proof of what was said or done, they won't / can't do anything about it.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

With so many "obvious" problems with CO I am surprised these guys keep coming back. I've lived here all my life and have yet to encounter any real problem with cattle/sheep/horses/pigs/lamas/yetis or anything else. I see elk and I kill elk, as do my friends and family and sometimes they are in pastures with cattle and sometimes they are not. No big deal.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skb2706
With so many "obvious" problems with CO I am surprised these guys keep coming back. I've lived here all my life and have yet to encounter any real problem with cattle/sheep/horses/pigs/lamas/yetis or anything else. I see elk and I kill elk, as do my friends and family and sometimes they are in pastures with cattle and sometimes they are not. No big deal.

GREAT point!!!!! I live here too and don't have any problem with the grazing. The only problems I have had lately are the amount of out of state hunters. I am all for having hunters come from other states, but it seems to be way to crowded. I have seen a large increase in just the last five years. I used to have great success in general units and that success rate has dropped off in the last five years. I am now relying on draw units for a quality hunt.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey SKB, how about giving up some info, so a out of stater like myself can come out, and enjoy some decent hunting there!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Hey SKB, how about giving up some info, so a out of stater like myself can come out, and enjoy some decent hunting there!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me I'll tell you where to go and when to go. You would still have to hunt but your odds go way up.

Just an FYI....the closest elk to where I'm sitting right now is a whole 27 miles. Give or take.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Spike

I dropped over a grand to do this "do it yourself" hunt. there were four of us, about $2700 right in co's economy. I don't live 27 miles from elk, i live 1180 miles fro where I hunt. Don't have a lot of time to swing out there and go scouting. My tax dollars are supporting those parks just the same as the poeples who's property borders those forests'. When the hunting seasons open the dow needs to say sorry grazers, there's another source of income in these woods and it's there turn and they have the same right s as you do.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I go DIY in Colorado every year and there are usually 3 of us. We all drop about $1500 each into the trip between the tags, meals, lodging and gas for our 4400 mile round trip. We have been getting another summer scouting trip in but fly so we add to the local economy in both the hunting and scouting seasons. One of the group has a place out there so he contributes via his taxes. The hunting in the west certainly is big business and for the most part easterners feel welcome.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

The Colorado DOW has zero to say about Forest Service or BLM grazing allotments. They cannot dictate grazing schedules on Federal lands period. Hunting is a business and contributes to the economy of western states, however that does not mean that ranchers who hold grazing permits should bow down at the feet of Nonresident hunters.

Your problem is not the Colorado DOW nor would complaining to them change a single thing.

You come for a week, residents are here the rest of year supporting the local businesses, schools, counties etc, etc. If the experience is so bad why not do what the capitalist system dictates and take your money else where? There are many different areas and states that hold elk. There are areas where grazing allotments have been retired.

It is irritating to hear whining and that "we" in the west need to change to accomodate your schedule and desires for hunting. How about you adapt to our way of doing things instead of vice versa?

Nemont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.