Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO unit 61 help

Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default CO unit 61 help

My dad drew a muzzleloader tag for unit 61. Any tips/direction would be appreciated. We are heading out from Oregon Monday to scout. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I thought you needed like 12pp for that unit. Don't know much about that area at all. But Uncompahgre Plateau might be a nice place to look into, although that may be in unit 61/62
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

61 is the west side of the Umcompadre plateau. 62 is the east side. 61 is the one that takes many points to draw for both elk and deer. 62 is OTC I believe for elk, and not that hard to draw for deer.

Your dad has a great tag and I wish you great success! I am jealous!

That said, for the future, hunting spots are obtained by LOTS of research and developing relationships in person and over the internet over months and years, not one day before you leave. Just remember, any info you get will be from a stranger, and could as likely be steering you away an area they know as good. Unless you have a relationship with someone over time, are you going to take their word on something this important?

The only reliable references at this point would be any aquaintences that you know have hunted the area in the past and local Division of Wildlife and National forest people. They can give you good info IF you ask specific questions.

In other words, if you can ask them: "Is the head of ABC creek going to have some water and likely to hold elk" you will get some good info. However, if you ask: "Where is a good place to hunt" you will get general areas, not specifics.

Again, your Dad has a great tag and I wish you great success!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know it is a great unit and it takes tons of preference points to draw any kind of tag there. Some areas of 61 is also very rugged and a job to pack out elk without horses. It is not a unit that gives up a lot of giants but the over all average is pretty good.