Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Will bear respond to calling? >

Will bear respond to calling?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Will bear respond to calling?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Will bear respond to calling?

I live/hunt new york state.There have been lots of bear sightings around. I've never encountered one but I have seen tracks.I would love to harvest a bear.We can't bait them but I wondered if anyone knew what type of calling I could do to attract them.I also call coyotes at night(by myself).Also would I do better for bear in the hills or the river bottoms?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Yes bears will respond to calling, although I usually spot them first and have only done blind calling a few times. Be prepared they come in really quiet. They only seem to move while you are calling and loose interest quickly so your calling sequence needs to be almost constant.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Good to know.What types of calls should I use?Distress prey/rodents perhaps nuts and berries? Since I call coyotes at night I think I'm gonna have to be a little more cautious about a bear possibly approaching.I could have a whole pack of coyotes around me and I'd be lovin' it.Even all of the speculation of BIG cats in the northeast doesn't bother me, but I know for a fact that there's bear around here and a 12GA coyote load would highly PeeS them off.Not that I will ever stop hunting/calling at night.I don't know the estimated bear population for my area but I assume that it's not a huge one and bear are probably mostly taken during deer season.I suppose if I were to locate one I would try to coax it in by calling.How big is a black bear's home range? Thanks