Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
30-06 grain for deer and elk. >

30-06 grain for deer and elk.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 grain for deer and elk.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
My buddy deer hunts with a .30-06 180 grain coreloks.
after he shoots the deer, he goes to the hospital to get stiches from the scope wound on his fore head.

His blood is mixing with the deer blood when he's field dressing.

While I down sized to a 7mm-08, or .243 depending on the day.
I hope he doesn't have any diseases he could give the deer. If he's worried about the deer giving him something, he's doing that wrong too. He needs to move his scope forward or his head back. Either that or he's shooting prone.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Spike

I would recommend using 180 gr. Nosler Partitions as the front half opens up fairly quickly (transferring that energy in shock) while the back half keeps driving it through.

I personally used these in Africa to kill game from a 30 lb. Klipspringer to Impala, Wildebeeste and a big bull Kudu. These out penetrated 300 gr. soft points out of my guide's 375 H&H.

For strictly deer hunting, 150 gr bullets are great, but are to lightly constructed for deep penetration. IMO, 165 grain bullets are a compromise that doesn't do as well as either the 150 for deer, or the 180 for elk.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

iv used a 30-06 180 grain wincheaster silver tip cxp3 for elk moose and deer for almost 20 years,some of these were very large critters.they all died like they should have.300 pound deer are also common here so the 180 grain works fine for them.as for my own opinion on the 150 grain,iv never had much faith in them as a all around grain for a 30 cal.but these days with premium bullets such as x barnes and berger and fail safe where 95% weight retention is expected im sure a 150 would work fine.just not my choice as i know what i shoot works and doesnt cost an arm and a leg,which means more shooting can be done at the range.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

sierra 180gn game kings SP's or woodleigh 180gns SP's the old man used them in his 30/06 AI and knocked down big pigs,deer and goats
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
iv used a 30-06 180 grain wincheaster silver tip cxp3 for elk moose and deer for almost 20 years,some of these were very large critters.they all died like they should have.300 pound deer are also common here so the 180 grain works fine for them.as for my own opinion on the 150 grain,iv never had much faith in them as a all around grain for a 30 cal.but these days with premium bullets such as x barnes and berger and fail safe where 95% weight retention is expected im sure a 150 would work fine.just not my choice as i know what i shoot works and doesnt cost an arm and a leg,which means more shooting can be done at the range.
I shot my 1st elk with a silver tip. I got a complete pass through, took off the top of the heart and the lung were liquid mush. You can't ask for more then that when shooting an elk. It was 70 yards broadside.