Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Your opinion on my goofed up mount? >

Your opinion on my goofed up mount?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your opinion on my goofed up mount?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Spike

Default Your opinion on my goofed up mount?

Hi all,
I was going to post in the Taxidermist area - but I really want you all's opinion on this - rather than the taxidermist that is going to say I should have brought this to him.
I work a lot, limited on time - and would have taken this to the local beetle-keeper if I would have know about him weeks ago.
Anyway - here it is, I harvested my first Elk this year (and also my first deer! - pretty excited after 4 years hunting here in the PNW) and I'm not sure what to do.
Do you think this is still worth mounting european style - or should I just hack the antlers off? As you can see, I boiled the skull too long - and portions of the nose bone area broke off. I'm leaning towards still going the european.....just with some character....LOL!!
Thanks for any - and all input!

(here he was before he was boiled)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Looks pretty good to me just the way it is. A buddy of mine got a plastic europeen skull mount kit for his whitetail deer and it looks good too. Nice size body on that elk.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Being your first, I'd just roll with it.
The mount will look good either way, and the memories it will evoke every time you look at it are way more valuable than the actual appearance.
Keep it as it is.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Its not too bad, more of a rugged look to it, id leave it being that its your first one.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

I'd leave it like it is. Don't rush a Euro mount. You have to take your time and be patient. Let it dry outside for about 5 weeks in the shade before whitening it. Once it dries good, the brown stuff on the teeth will scrape off easily.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like one of mine! The rack is still fine. Try it like it is, and if you get tired of it you could at anytime have the rack mounted on its own. Nothing lost. I stopped boiling. Now I stick the skull in a bucket of water and let it slough off. It works best in a warm envirnment, and may take a couple months, but i like the results better and it is tougher to screw up! Trim off all themeat you can, and let is sit until most is macerated off. scrape it clean of what is left, then soak it in a dish soap detergent mix to get the grease out. Let it dry a week or so, then I soak it in a diluted hydrogen peroxide mix to bleach it. Google skull maceration. Lots of information out there.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, it looks fine. I've a few that are picture perfect and a few that have some missing. Its all good. As said, it adds character and a ruggedness.

Many people boil the skulls, but a low grade simmer will generally get the job done without as much softening. If you have time, no doubt maceration is a good deal, though you might want it downwind of the house.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

its gooooooooood
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Spike

Thanks guys!! Great feedback - I'm happy to hear it all and appreciate it.
I would have done the sitting in water method - but it was really cold here for a bit. It was freezing and my pot with the Elk head in it actually froze over - kind of making things a PITA. I did bring it to a boil, and then simmer it - but I did it over 4 days because I never have enough time in 1 sitting - only a few hours each night in the evening.
Next time.....I will make sure to set aside time. Thanks All!
Trevor