Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
30-06 grain for deer and elk. >

30-06 grain for deer and elk.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 grain for deer and elk.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer heavier for caliber bullets they are both better in terminal and ballistical performance down range. Forget speed at the muzzle. All said what shoots best is always the best choice, I certainly wouldn't shoot a 180 if the 165 shoot noticably better.

In terms of the accubond I have harvested moose, elk and deer with this bullet it works, not an issue to report. Good choice as long as it shoots well. JMO but using a premium type bullet is never a bad idea, especially when elk or larger game are on tap.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will be fine with either of the loads listed provided they shoot well for you......and they will do the job well beyond 250 yards.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

In theory I like the 165 gr. Barnes Mrx as being my choice for best all around bullet in killing animals from the 30-06.This is what I have been using since the MRX has come out.Never have used it on deer mind you,but its what I'm using this year again, and hopefully I see a buck worth using them on.It's been 6 years since I shot a deer but I have used both the 165 and the 180 with great success in killing elk and moose.But when it comes to these super premium bullets what often works on animals that require greater penatration often pencils through animals like deer.So I dropped down in bullet weight(also lowers the bullet sectional density) in hoping that I will get better bullet performance when I shoot a deer I already know they perform on elk and moose.There are great bullets available by every manfacturer but a well constructed 165 gr bullet that has appropriate sectional density for hunting the variety of game you want is a good place to start.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-05-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady makes Superformance ammo with a 165 GMX bullet. This ammo replaces their "light magnum" line, but does the same thing: 200 fps faster with no more recoil.

Currently $32 at Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=911909

That is what I would be carrying if I were hunting for elk with a 30-06. IMO, it is the best compromise between speed and weight.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer 165grs. Besides you already stated you won't be taking long shots so I would say shoot whatever you rifle likes the best. Any of the mentioned bullets and loads will do the job. We as rifle hunters finally got enough selection of calibers and ammunition out there that we can finally have real opinionated debates like the bowhunter's do. Hehe
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I prefer 165grs. Besides you already stated you won't be taking long shots so I would say shoot whatever you rifle likes the best. Any of the mentioned bullets and loads will do the job. We as rifle hunters finally got enough selection of calibers and ammunition out there that we can finally have real opinionated debates like the bowhunter's do. Hehe
I used to shoot 165's alot, and loved them. I had a new rifle built though, and after alot of shooting, it performs the best with Hornady 130's in front of 52 gr of IMR 3031. After many years of hunting, I know that it is not so much the bullet, but the placement. When I was doing some guide work on the west end of the state many moons ago, I used to carry a 22-250. And yes, I have taken several elk with it...but it was under very controlled circumstances and head shots. My '06 can maintain groups of 2-2.5 inches at 300 yds easily. With that kind of group, I can take down most anything I set the crosshairs on.

Big reason I don't use the 180's is the recoil difference.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
We all have diferent experiences. I always use heavy premium bullets on bull hunts (such as a NP). I have taken quartering shots at bulls that I would not have taken on a cow hunt, and I have shot bulls that were quite a bit larger than any cow that I have cleaned. The shots that I take on a cow hunt are always broadside, and probably at a closer average range.
I have shot some big bulls that were tough enough to take a well placed shot and still run down to the bottom of some hellhole before calling it quits.
It is my opinion that any good (fairly heavy for caliber) bullet traveling at .30-06 velocities will do an effective job on a calm broadside elk at reasonable ranges.
There is certainly some truth in what you are saying but IMO there isn't enough difference between a bull and a cow to worry about different loads and especially worry about differentiating shot placement. I understand that you wouldn't shoot a worked up cow due to how it makes the meat tast but other than that I prefer to have one elk load that I practice with and know well. I just load for a large elk and if a smaller one steps in my path or I have a cow tag then I know what I've got will get the job done on any of em.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Just find the ammo that shoots and groups the best through your rifle at different distances. If it is 150 grains or greater, use it for anything. Although, if you are going to hunt elk at distances greater than 250 yards, you might find a second "go to" load in the 180 and up range.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

kinda depends on how far yer gonna shoot,165 is good to around 350yrds imho and 180s are gooder out to 500,or use 180 all the way.remember an elk is alot tougher than a deer.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I don't think you have to use a premium bullet for cow elk. Cows are smaller than the bulls, and you will probably be shooting reasonable ranges at undisturbed animals on a meat hunt. Your .30-06's velocity will not cause the problems with bullet construction that can happen with excessive speed. I like a 165 for this type of hunt, but a 180 would be a good choice.

are you high?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.