Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scope problems

Old 07-06-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Scope problems

I picked up a new rifle (browning a-bolt .338) for an upcoming elk trip this fall. Topped it with a leupold vx-II with leupold mounts and rings. I had it professionally mounted at a gunsmiths shop (the ' smith honed down the inside of the rings to take off any high spots and applied loc-tite to the screws). My problem is that while sighting in, I could not obtain a proper grouping. It would place 1 or 2 rounds properly, then the next round would be way off. I was shooting from a " sight vise" from a bench, so I know I had a steady rest. I have been shooting rifles for over 20 years and consider myself a decent shot. I discovered the problem to be that the screws (4) that hold the top of the rings as well as the scope down were all lose. Does this sound like something that I should take up with the ' smith? Or could this be a normal problem due to such a large caliber? Any products anyone knows about that may be a better solution than loc-tite? Any advice will be appreciated as I am more than a bit concerned.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope problems

Are you sure he put loc-tite on the rings screws? I bet he only put loc-tite on the base screws?
I would take the rilfe back to him & tell him what happened. Having a 338 shaking the screws loose is not a problem, as long as you get it fixed before your hunt.
Good luck,
Old 07-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the screws were loose it is because they were never tightened properly.I have never had screws loosen on any scope including those used on my 375H&H.Incidently using the so called shooting vise can cause problems in itself.Not allowing the rifle to recoil normally can result in a different point of impact.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:29 PM

I would also ask did he use loc-tite on the ring screws? Sometimes new rifles will shoot the ring, base, and action screws loose after 50 rounds of so. Tighten them up and they should never loosen again. You don' t need them white knuckle tight, but soundly snug. I use the blue loc-tite (removable type). Also some anti-seize, like machinist use works good.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don' t need loctite on ring screws only on base screws.Unless your rings are of poor quality they will not loosen if tightened properly.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I tightened to torx screws down and will be taking the gun to the ' smith tomorrow after work to see what he says. I will probably also ditch the sight vise as I will not be using it in the field. I will just sight off the bench with sand bags. Thanks again and I will keep you posted!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is very common for people to leave ring screws too loose because they are afraid of damaging the scope.I use the leupold rings and bases myself and tighten then as tight as the little wrench will allow without bending.Even with heavy recoiling rifles I have never had a scope move or screws loosen.As to your grouping it may just be that your rifle does not like that particular load.If it doesn' t improve when the scope is properly tightened you may want to try another load.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I had the exact same problem on a scope i had mounted (by a gunsmith) on my 30.06.I don' t agree that the screws were not tighened down to avoid scope damage (ie gunsmith).I also use Leopold rings but do not take a chance on scope movment.I now install all of my rings and scopes as well as some friends' my personel remedy is to Lok-Tite ALL of the screws and also a dab at the top of the ring, front and rear . It maybe over-kill but no-one has complained yet!

Just my 2 pesos
Old 07-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn' t matter who does the work it pays to check even the pro' s . Eveyone will make a mistake once in awhile . I do all my gun work myself and always double check my work .