Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Drawings for Big Game Animals >

Drawings for Big Game Animals

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Drawings for Big Game Animals

Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Drawings for Big Game Animals

I live in PA. To hunt elk in PA you need to enter a drawing. If you don't win a tag you get a preference point. I'm looking for other states who give you preference points if you don't win. I'm looking for any kind of animal. Bear, elk, moose, ram, anything
Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

This Guy is great i did a hunting swap with him. He knows his stuff for each state. He used to be around here to his name was raghornhs. www.raghornhuntingservices.com
Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most states have drawings, some have pref. points, some have bonus pts.

ID and NM currently don't have pts, things change though.

I think OR or WA doesn't issue pts for sheep but for other species...

apply everywhere...

I avoid OR and CA, one day I may apply for WA...
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can also buy preference points in MT. NM has landowner voucher hunts also that enable hunters to buy their tags over the counter.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

CO and WY are about the only "true" PP states. With that said many other states have bonus points or weighted bonus points. CO and WY are about the only states you can start building pts in now and realistically draw a decent tag in a few years, I said decent....not great (elk deer, antelope). There is always a chance you could get drawn for any state (almost) in the random drawing, but slim odds. You can also buy PP in CO and WY without the risk of drawing a tag or buying a hunting license that you won't use.

Moose and Bighorn is another story.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think most states are moving towards a weighted bonus point system like Nevada's, everyone has a chance, but in reality those with the most points are the only ones who will draw or should.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Black Bear Hunter
I live in PA. To hunt elk in PA you need to enter a drawing. If you don't win a tag you get a preference point. I'm looking for other states who give you preference points if you don't win. I'm looking for any kind of animal. Bear, elk, moose, ram, anything
On a side note, Colorado still has Over the Counter Bull tags for a lot of good public hunting area still. But like someone else stated they have Preference points as well. I believe they started charging a larger but yet still small fee to accumulate these points of you haven't or don't buy a hunting license every few years.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Vermont gives you preference points for Moose if you do not draw. If you cannot hunt a particular year, you can still submit an app and gain additional points instead of losing accumulated ones.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Silver_Wolf
On a side note, Colorado still has Over the Counter Bull tags for a lot of good public hunting area still. But like someone else stated they have Preference points as well. I believe they started charging a larger but yet still small fee to accumulate these points of you haven't or don't buy a hunting license every few years.
MT gives points, you pay a small fee each year (just a few bucks) to participate in this. But you cannot opt for just a point, you have to apply for the license so you can't just rack up points planning to target a year in the future for the hunt. You can do points for most big game there.

CO charges about $20 just for a point, if I recall as I did it this year. And you can apply for just the point.

So, I applied for MT and a point in CO for elk. The plan was if I did not draw MT (I have now drawn 3 yrs straight on 30% odds) I would go to the public OTC areas in CO. Eventually when I have enough points, I will likely skip a year applying to MT and use my points to go to CO instead. This way I have options.