HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drawings for Big Game Animals
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Silver_Wolf
On a side note, Colorado still has Over the Counter Bull tags for a lot of good public hunting area still. But like someone else stated they have Preference points as well. I believe they started charging a larger but yet still small fee to accumulate these points of you haven't or don't buy a hunting license every few years.
MT gives points, you pay a small fee each year (just a few bucks) to participate in this. But you cannot opt for just a point, you have to apply for the license so you can't just rack up points planning to target a year in the future for the hunt. You can do points for most big game there.

CO charges about $20 just for a point, if I recall as I did it this year. And you can apply for just the point.

So, I applied for MT and a point in CO for elk. The plan was if I did not draw MT (I have now drawn 3 yrs straight on 30% odds) I would go to the public OTC areas in CO. Eventually when I have enough points, I will likely skip a year applying to MT and use my points to go to CO instead. This way I have options.