Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
callin' california mulies? >

callin' california mulies?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

callin' california mulies?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default callin' california mulies?

can it be done? i've heard a lot of yes and no on this topic. some say the mulies cannot be called in, some say they can. some say only the does, some say both sexes. what i do know, is they've come in to my calling before to check out my predator distress calls but i wanna know if they'll come in to grunt calls or doe calls. thanks gentlemen
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Spike

For some reason, during elk rut, mulies will sometimes come to a bugle or a screech.
And they come in like they are looking for trouble. If you try it , it likely won't work.
They're fickle that way.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

The thing about are muley season here in UT is that it is about a week or two before the rut Its stupid!
So I dont use a call when I hunt muleys, but when the season ends and the rut begins I have used a call and actually had quite a bit of luck. I have also had them come in to my elk calls as well. It just depends on the time of year and the deer.
(im poetic)

Gen
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've heard that muley's will sometimes come into a fawn in destress call or other sounds.

I don't think though it's reliable enough though to be considered a successful hunting method.

It's something that will give you a bit of a laugh from time to time if you pulled it off but you'd look like a fool out there with your elk bugle trying to call in muley's. I'll put in this way. I have called in literally hundreds of elk in with an elk call....to date ZERO muleys have come in to those calls.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see you hunt the pacific deer down south and I don't know for sure about them...however, the muley's up north in the sierras can be called in if the weather is right and they are in the pre-rut. I have called in a buck or two just by doing soft grunts.