Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves and elk

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
The elk outfitters I work for are getting very worried, cause If we dont do somethin about these elk killers Ut, Mt, WY could all end up like ID.
I hear the same complaints coming from Wyoming and Eastern Washington. If you want to see what's going to happen look to California's mountain lion "problem" or our non-existant salmon season. I hate to say it, but our ancestors killed the wolves for a reason, we've just forgotten what it is.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ol'Mongo
I hear the same complaints coming from Wyoming and Eastern Washington. If you want to see what's going to happen look to California's mountain lion "problem" or our non-existant salmon season. I hate to say it, but our ancestors killed the wolves for a reason, we've just forgotten what it is.

kinda like they allmost did in the buffalo?? money!!!! plain and simple money
Old 03-25-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Well said.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by finnbear
kinda like they allmost did in the buffalo?? money!!!! plain and simple money
Well I don't think the history of the bison or the passenger pigeon or the Chesapeake Bay ducks is the same as wolves. The former were killed for money or "sport" and the latter were killing people and livestock (and still do). Mountain lions in California kill pets, deer and occasionally people. Try hunting deer in California and see what your success rate is. Lions are "protected" and can't be killed without a credible threat to a human or a depredation permit. Their population has exploded and they have lost their fear of man. I wouldn't advocate wiping lions or wolves from the face of the earth but they need to be controlled.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default just curious

Well I don't think the history of the bison or the passenger pigeon or the Chesapeake Bay ducks is the same as wolves. The former were killed for money or "sport" and the latter were killing people and livestock (and still do). Mountain lions in California kill pets, deer and occasionally people. Try hunting deer in California and see what your success rate is. Lions are "protected" and can't be killed without a credible threat to a human or a depredation permit. Their population has exploded and they have lost their fear of man. I wouldn't advocate wiping lions or wolves from the face of the earth but they need to be controlled.

Well since U seem to be an expert on all these attacks on humans that these wolves are a killing ...just how many documented fatal attacks are there a year in the US, compared to say OH let's see rottwielr attacks??? just curious as to how many folks have died over the years due to wolf attacks here in the states??!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
Well since U seem to be an expert on all these attacks on humans that these wolves are a killing ...just how many documented fatal attacks are there a year in the US, compared to say OH let's see rottwielr attacks??? just curious as to how many folks have died over the years due to wolf attacks here in the states??!!!
Thousands! People are dropping like flies to the fanged 4 legged critters! Just this last season a whole camp of elk hunters were wiped out! What a mess, blood every where, people screaming and bullets flying all over the place!

As for the domestic dog attacks? There was one. No I think one and a half and the half was from a Pomeranian.

Ahhh OK I am fibbing just a little bit but I think we were doing just fine keeping the elk and deer numbers down. When I hunt I like to see an abundance of game soooooooooooo I still like the SSS method the best
Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Spike

Good point. Until the recent attack in Alaska, there was one documented fatality in all of North America that was determined to be wolf-caused (and that was a controversial decision, anyway - they weren't 100% sure it wasn't a bear attack).

As for livestock, around here the ranchers are more than fairly compensated for any stock lost when it's caused by wolves. If you ask the wardens who have to investigate the complaints, a bigger problem is blaming wolves for ALL cattle deaths in order to rip off the state. One warden told me about a guy who actually had a wolf paw and who would make prints around every dead cow so he could blame the wolves .

I'm no wolf fan, either - I'd like to see a real season where there are enough to support it. I think a lot of hunters would. But SSS is how we got to where we are today and why nothing is changing. There has to be balance.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Hey have any of you read the 2009 Spring hunting illustrated magazine
It has a 2 pages about this very issue and how it effects elk hunting.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by macman99
Good point. Until the recent attack in Alaska, there was one documented fatality in all of North America that was determined to be wolf-caused (and that was a controversial decision, anyway - they weren't 100% sure it wasn't a bear attack).

As for livestock, around here the ranchers are more than fairly compensated for any stock lost when it's caused by wolves. If you ask the wardens who have to investigate the complaints, a bigger problem is blaming wolves for ALL cattle deaths in order to rip off the state. One warden told me about a guy who actually had a wolf paw and who would make prints around every dead cow so he could blame the wolves .

I'm no wolf fan, either - I'd like to see a real season where there are enough to support it. I think a lot of hunters would. But SSS is how we got to where we are today and why nothing is changing. There has to be balance.
I agree. I do like the balance idea. I balance the spade shovel in one hand while I balance the pick ax in the other! Don't want too much undistributed weight in one hand than the other. Weigh them before you buy them.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

NJhunter U contridict yourself

[Ahhh OK I am fibbing just a little bit but I think we were doing just fine keeping the elk and deer numbers down. When I hunt I like to see an abundance of game soooooooooooo I still like the SSS method the best]

You state that U want to see an abundance of game, but U blame the hunters for the low numbers of animals

I my self would love to see a large increase of elk numbers!!!

Last edited by finnbear; 03-30-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.