Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves and elk

Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cataraft
My solution is that we educate others on the real impacts and implications of living with large predators like the wolf. That we address the continuing loss of hunting opportunities and the real natural cycle of nature where any animal that is not limited reaches a saturation level that destroys an ecosystems natural balance. That we use sound biology and scientific truth to support our arguments. That we encourage each other and help to organize ourselves, and that we befriend non-hunters and "nature lovers" and share our experience and perspectives. Inviting a non hunting friend over and cooking him/her a elk steak for dinner, or a fresh fish, or sharing some wild mushrooms goes a long way in changing peoples perspectives (provided you can cook). Sharing information from RMEF like rather be hunting has shared, also helps back up our opinions with evidence and not just emotion..
Okay, I don't have an argument with any of that. It's honest. It's real. I think it's probably too idealistic though, and it assumes that the market for your intended message is open to considering another opinion, which is also the risk I find here:

Originally Posted by cataraft
They are the ones reading the magazines and contributing the dollars to anti-hunting organizations like defenders of wildlife and sierra club and ironically they are the one group of anti-hunters with the most in common with us and the easiest to convert.
Did you really say that? I'm talking about disengaged, neutral NON-hunters and you're really thinking that you'll convert card-carrying, money-donating, ANTI-hunters? I'm really interested in hearing how that turns out.

The other complicator to that approach is that there are likely those among our own ranks who won't measure up to the purity of the message. Absolutely, call their behavior out if it's illegal, but would you otherwise alienate a friend in order to impress an enemy? What if they just can't cook?

I think your approach (above, top) would be far more effective directed toward NON-hunters than it would be toward the established groups of idealists you suggest. But hey, if you can make that work, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

Until then, every cat attack, every report of wolf depredation (Black Butte pack made the paper again today, killing calves and horses), adds one more shred of evidence to those who as of yet have formed no solid opinion - that predator populations must also be in balance with the ecosystem they're part of. That's when they become open to the message and an elk steak.

One thing here is certain - things need to change. We do, somehow, need to be involved in making that change happen, not letting the change happen to us. I'm guessing we can at least agree on that?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Spike

I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner. I agree with you. I would like to think that we agree on a lot of things and have a lot in common. It bothers me to see how disagreeable this thread is among a group of people who all share a common enemy. You are right and peoples opinions will eventual change, but I'm just afraid that by playing devil's advocate it will be too late for our heritage to survive that trend.
I know my argument is idealistic and simple, but it has worked for me in deep personal friendships that I've formed. I would encourage hunters to participate and involve themselves with other people who don't. It's important that we stop shrinking back into ourselves and grow into the world at large because that effects real change. I remember showing a life long bird watcher and member of the National Audubon Society how to gut and butcher a road killed deer and make burger out of it. I also remember sharing coffee and deer jerky on a hawk lookout in the Appalachians with about 12 other "environmentalists" anti-hunter types. Can you imagine that? Fish out of water...... Also, my best friend growing up now lives in Brooklyn, NY. His wife's aunt, who lives in Jackson, WY, sends them elk steaks every year. Twice removed from the kill he has grown to appreciate hunters. I don't know about members of Defenders of Wildlife (but I can guess.... ). But I do know about members of groups like Sierra Club, Audubon Society, and various animal rescue groups- and they are all on board with hunting as long as it is respectful to the animals harvested. I did a google search on wolves and elk the other night and I found several good articles were both hunters and anti-hunters were posting. That is were we should be posting these comments IMO. Because that's were we can make a difference.

Again, I'll say it-- the only thing missing for most non-hunters in their life is another hunter, and it is important for us as hunters to realize that and be humble, patient and generous when confronted with ignorance and prejudice. Man belongs in the world and has been a part of it from the very beginning of wildlife, we are part of nature and have every right to live and die within it as every other animal.