Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spider bull

Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
The Spider bull was taken legally. If you guys have a problem with it take it up with whoever decided to sell the tag.
I don't care if he paid a whole town to "sit" on the bull till he got there. If thats what he wants to spend his money on why should you or I care?
Bottom line is the guy spent a whole lot of money to be able to legally kill an extremely large bull elk that everyone else had a chance to kill. He was successful in his endeavor.
Nobody is arguing the legally, only the ethics, and ethics are an opinion everyone is entitled to. My opinion it was unethical, and I don't need to take that up with anybody but myself, and that is the real bottom line.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

If anyone would have interfered with me hunting in an area because they were sitting on a record book animal for a client they would have had to call in backup MAJOR BACKUP. If what they said was true about blocking access roads and harassing hunters I would have found out who they were and things would have not been pretty.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

it's funny, I had been putting in for that area, not a great area by UT standards, but easier draw odds, after that bull was taken, the next season odds doubled or tripled!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley70
Well, I'll post my two cents, worth priced charged. I'm an outfitter, and I do not support what happened with the spider bull. I may lose some business by saying this, but I can't help it. If clients paid me to sit my guides on a bull I would walk. I have tremendous respect for elk, for the environment, and for the sport of hunting. What happened with the spider bull was flat out wrong. I believe and fair chase, and always go out of my way to provide clients with the hunt of a lifetime, but I will not cross legal or ethical boundaries. The spider bull deserved better than what he got. I do not outfit for the money, but for the lifestyle. There are just somethings I won't do, and i won't take money for. You only get one crack at life, and I would rather sleep well than eat well.
CLAP!!! CLAP!!! Bravo!! If I or anyone I know needs an outfitter I will be sure to get in touch with you. You are my kind of folk Sir.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

The Spider bull was taken legally. If you guys have a problem with it take it up with whoever decided to sell the tag.
I don't care if he paid a whole town to "sit" on the bull till he got there. If thats what he wants to spend his money on why should you or I care?
Bottom line is the guy spent a whole lot of money to be able to legally kill an extremely large bull elk that everyone else had a chance to kill. He was successful in his endeavor.
Nobody is asking for a prosecution....this isn't a legal argument. In fact I personally do not want to see any laws changed based on what happened with ole Spidey.

This is a personal ethics argument and like many others I just hang my head when I think of the circumstances around this bull. I can't help but wish the bull could have been taken by more noble means. Wonderful bull, disgusting cirumstances. I paid homage to the bull when the he came into town and was on display for a few days but I will not spend one red cent in DVD's or any product with "spider bull" as part of an advertisement or merketing materials.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Bingo ratherbehuntin.........just goes to show there are a lot of people with more $ than they know what to do with. I sat in an airport by a guy who had a huge binder of his 'hunts' and was showing them off to some other folks of how he was a wilderness man and had pics of his endeavors. The whole conversation died when asked if he hunted free range or high fence..... He even told me that Cabelas sends him a yearly 'hard back' magazine because of all the $ he spends with him.........I had to chuckle....I get one too.......
Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

How is this somehow less noble? (rhetorical question)
The way that this man shot the bull is the same as you are I paying an outfitter. The only difference is he payed a lot more, and he payed a lot more people. Again how he chooses to spend his money is neither yours or my business.
I cant stand the ethics police spouting off so I guess I am done with this thread.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, had to come back for this.

No it is not any different if someone does a deer drive by my stand. I chalk that up to hunting on public land. They have just as much of a "right" to be there as I do. It happens, and it happens often.

We do not have the right to hunt public land undisturbed. We have the privilege of hunting on public land with a multitude of other people who pay for that privilege.

Nothing at all unethical about the way this bull was taken. It was taken legally on public land! Anyone else could have done the same thing.
People just get hung up on how many people were out there and how much they were paid to do it. Think about it this way...this guy paid $200,000 (or whatever) to hunt on public land that everyone else can hunt for the price of a license.

For goodness sake let the guy enjoy his trophy.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
and it wouldn't be a different if you were hunting public land in NC for deer and 15 guys made a deer drive just outside your deer stand?
on private land its a different matter, but that land is public land, everyone has the right to hunt it (undisturbed) and an army of outfitters doesn't go unnoticed by the game.
RR

Ethics isn't what you do when folks sre watching, its what you do when they're not.

No it is not any different if someone does a deer drive by my stand. I chalk that up to hunting on public land. They have just as much of a "right" to be there as I do. It happens, and it happens often.

We do not have the right to hunt public land undisturbed. We have the privilege of hunting on public land with a multitude of other people who pay for that privilege.

Nothing at all unethical about the way this bull was taken. It was taken legally on public land! Anyone else could have done the same thing.
People just get hung up on how many people were out there and how much they were paid to do it. Think about it this way...this guy paid $200,000 (or whatever) to hunt on public land that everyone else can hunt for the price of a license.

I agree you with both. You both have very good points, and I think that unethical and ethical things happened During this hunt. I dont like how he hired the whole mossback team to sit on the bull and take him right to it. Thats why they call it hunting and not shooting!
But he also did put alot of time, money and planning in the hunt and I think that someone ( like him) who is willing to do all that should be able to kill whatever he wants however big he wants.

Last edited by genesis27:3; 03-02-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

You make some valid points but I don't understand why you seem to be getting so worked up about it.

Well I guess I must fall under the category of ethics police but so be it. In this case I'm comfortable in my point of view so label me how you like.

Having said that personal ethics are just that. I would worry much more about a person that doesn't have any much more than I worry about the person that doesn't agree with me.

For me hunting is something that should be somewhat pure. While modern advancements have allowed us to take animals more cleanly and at longer ranges some modern technology is not allowed to be used simply for the purity and fairness of it. For example it's illegal to use aircraft to hunt or spot game nearly everywhere during your hunt. There are waiting periods involved. For me personally the way the Spider bull was hunted was just as "unfair" as using aircraft. We all have that "line in the sand" and no two peoples will be exactly the same but for most of us it was crossed in this case.

We may all have a nice mount on the wall, have hunted for inches on the head, and a few of us may even have an animal or two in a book somewhere but there is still something pure and special about hunting hard for an animal. There is nothing special about a bull taken by an army out doing the spotting while king Tut shows up on his ATV ****** to "shoot" said bull while the army cordens off the public area to all other hunters. It wasn't illegal, just what not it's supposed to be about.

To me it's the equivilent of a Father who makes his boy practice baseball like a chore and punishes him when when the boy doesn't do well so that he can be the best little league player in town. It's not illegal, just not what it's supposed to be about. To me little league isn't supposed to be about winning all the time and being the best. It's about learning sportsmanship, being a part of group, and feeling a sense of accomplishment and learning how to lose. It's about frienships and being part of a team. it's supposed to be fun and exciting. So when a father makes it a chore for his son and punishes him it takes away from what it's supposed to be in essence making little league an ugly thing for that boy. Think about it when you pervert something like that you really have to wonder what the point is? Is it just plain chest beating egotistical male hormones talking? Certainly you can't feel a real sense of accomplishment can you?

I can't tell you what hunting is supposed to be about.....only you know what that is for you. For me what happened with the Spider bull ain't got nothin to do with what hunting is supposed to be about.

I'm sure you get my point but I'm cool too with the fact that you don't agree with me. I'm happy to kick the ball around with those who feel differently than I do.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 03-02-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.