Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Caliber for elk

Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

In most circumstances a .30-06 shooting 180 grain bullets should suffice. If you have reason to expect (75% or more probability would be grounds to 'expect') your shots will be over 300 yards, you might want to rely instead upon a Winchester .338 Magnum.

I would guess you are going to -- or already have -- receive a lot of different opinion on this question. I guess that means a variety of cartridges can and have killed elk before. Notwithstanding, an awful lot of elk have been successfully killed with the .30-06. If you've already got a .30-06, you are well equiped with a rifle suitable for hunting elk. If you want an excuse to add a new rifle to the battery, by all means, buy yourself a new rifle chambered for a cartridge burning more powder, pummelling your shoulder more, and shaking your retina more powerfully and/or a cartridge of larger caliber firing a bullet of greater mass. Buying a new rifle may contribute to the needed economic recovery. Buying a new rifle may cure your cabin fever or winter blues. Buying a new rifle, after you already own a .30-06, probably isn't going to substantially increase your prospects for killing an elk. At least that is my opinion.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jaywalker
Does anyone know what elk actually tasts like? Good?
No, elk does not taste good, it tastes DAMN good!!! For me it is surprising how good elk meat tastes. I've eaten venison, pronghorn, and various ducks -- all field dressed, butchered, and cooked by me -- and they are none of them as good as elk. The elk is a substantial improvement over any of these. And this is not just my opinion, it is the opinion of my family also. The elk tenderloin was astonishingly good.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

IMO any bullet in the 30 caliber class will take an elk... But the important part is that you learn what area you will be hunting and what the shot distances could be... Then pick your rifle according to that...
I personally would go with a .308 but that is from doing a little research about a great caliber that is good with bullet weight and energy out to long distances... I mean the FBI, most Police Department Sniper units, and US Special Forces Snipers use the .308 for their craft... That says a little something about the caliber
Another round that would be good and is also a 30 caliber round would be the classic 30-06... You can go almost anywhere in the world and find a box of ammo for your gun and it performs almost identical to the .308 from what I have read. The 06 also offers a large selection of bullet weights so no matter what game you chase it has a load to fit. Plus its what millions of GIs used to ensure our freedoms!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kpatte26
I personally would go with a .308 but that is from doing a little research about a great caliber that is good with bullet weight and energy out to long distances... I mean the FBI, most Police Department Sniper units, and US Special Forces Snipers use the .308 for their craft... That says a little something about the caliber
Yes, that it is more compact to carry in quantities than the .30-06 and lighter with comparable ballistics in MILITARY loads (any competent handloader can make the 30-06 shine a level above the 308). Same reasons the 308 was subsequently replaced by the .223, which tons of vets will tell you is next to useless in actual combat as it has no stopping ability. Use by the military rarely says a round or piece of equipment is superior. Our troops are given less than the best with disturbing frequency.

By the way, the Army is currently transitioning to the 300WM and the Brits already use the 338 Lapua Mag.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Get a 300 Win mag, and go hunting, that simple...180 grainers for elk, 150 for deer...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Im planning on going outwest on an elk trip and I already own a 700 in .270 do most agree its capable of killing elk clean?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice broadside shot with quality ammo sure!

Sure sounds like a good excuse to buy yourself a magnum though...

.300 WSM
.340 Wby

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Im planning on going outwest on an elk trip and I already own a 700 in .270 do most agree its capable of killing elk clean?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Kennels-----Your 270 will be fine. Lots of locals use it here. I would get a 150 grain bullet---- like a Federal 150 grain Nolser Partition. CB
Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Im shooting a 140 grain innerbond hornady light mag right now, my experience with the nosler partition is in a buddies 300 short mag it seems to be a quality bullet
Old 02-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

The reason im on a big game forum is to learn more about big game hunting out west due to the fact that I know little on the subject. I havent made any exuberant claims so if picking on the guy that self admittedly doesnt know much makes you happy so be it. Any time youd like to learn about something from my neck of the woods ill gladly tell you anything I know. In the future please keep your sarcasm to yourself there cuttthroat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.