Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Caliber for elk

Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaywalker
Does anyone know what elk actually tasts like? Good?
To me it taste just like pot roast. But then it's all in how it's prepared.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Caliber doesn't matter anymore. Pick anything from a slingshot, Gammo air rifle, 12 guage, .22lr all the way up the ladder. Shot placement is the ONLY thing matters in todays world. At least that's what I hear.

Despite my many hours of practicing I am a piss poor shot because I haven't shot 500 elk over 50 years and every single one of them did not drop in their tracks. To make it worse sometimes I mis-judge wind and distance since I can't do trigonometry in my head, I need sctratch paper and sometimes I forget to bring it. Sometimes an animal even moves when I pull the trigger since my Jedi powers aren't strong enough to make them stay still. My x-ray vision is weak and I have hit small tree branches that I didn't see and I have inadvertanly nailed the shoulder bone in it's thickest part since I'm still learning how to curve a bullet path. I'm a wimp and sometimes I leave my benchrest in camp because it gets too heavy for me to carry and I have to shoot without it making me sometimes not perfectly steady. Hell I even have to shoot with both hands on my rifle and I cannot shoot a soda can at 200 yds and then shoot it 5 more times before it lands.

For guys like me I prefer something in the 7mm to .30 caliber range for starters. Anything bigger of course would work as well. If you're a better shot than me then just close your eyes and pull what ever you grab first out of the gun cabinet.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
Caliber doesn't matter anymore. Pick anything from a slingshot, Gammo air rifle, 12 guage, .22lr all the way up the ladder. Shot placement is the ONLY thing matters in todays world. At least that's what I hear.

Despite my many hours of practicing I am a piss poor shot because I haven't shot 500 elk over 50 years and every single one of them did not drop in their tracks. To make it worse sometimes I mis-judge wind and distance since I can't do trigonometry in my head, I need sctratch paper and sometimes I forget to bring it. Sometimes an animal even moves when I pull the trigger since my Jedi powers aren't strong enough to make them stay still. My x-ray vision is weak and I have hit small tree branches that I didn't see and I have inadvertanly nailed the shoulder bone in it's thickest part since I'm still learning how to curve a bullet path. I'm a wimp and sometimes I leave my benchrest in camp because it gets too heavy for me to carry and I have to shoot without it making me sometimes not perfectly steady. Hell I even have to shoot with both hands on my rifle and I cannot shoot a soda can at 200 yds and then shoot it 5 more times before it lands.

For guys like me I prefer something in the 7mm to .30 caliber range for starters. Anything bigger of course would work as well. If you're a better shot than me then just close your eyes and pull what ever you grab first out of the gun cabinet.
LMAO!!! Good post.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

In KY the .270 is the minimum legal caliber.

I normally deer hunt with a 7mm RM...which is more than enough for elk.

But if I had to select one rifle to hunt elk with (noting that elk live in rough areas sometimes inhabited by bears) I would go with a .338 Winchester Magnum.

The .340 Weatherby Magnum and the .338 Remington Ultra Mag would also get the job done on any elk, though no one local carries ammo for these rifles (have to order via Cabelas / BassPro)
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Spike

Default Best??

Lot of good info and comments here!! I have used a 280 Rem for everything from Coastal Blacktails to moose and black bears. With 140s it is deer dynamite and with 160s moose, elk and bear have a real hard time walking more than a few yards after being touched. Some have been taken out to 400 yds and ALL have been one-shotters. I have taken the time to get the broadside shot and it works best. Now - my personal experience with this caliber doesn't make it the best - it is just the one I shoot best! I can handle the recoil better than heavier magnums and in my Ruger rifle it is comfortable to pack and shoot.

Pick a rifle in one of these calibers that you shoot well. If it is a magnum use it! A lighter caliber that you shoot well?? Just get a premium bullet and use that! And always be aware of the legal minimum requirement for the area your hunting!! Don't show up with a 6mm when a 6.5mm is the minimum caliber allowed!! and always - Shoot Straight!!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of good calibers for elk and you are also gonna get alot of different opinions.

My is the .338 Win Mag....my works them over real well!!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

The kids out here shoot lots of em stone dead with .243s. Not my choice but they shoot better than us old farts.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

i use a 30-06 and have for 20 some odd years, it's all in shot placement as everyone says. if you take out the front shoulder then he can't run, if you take out the lungs then he can't breathe. which i prefer to do, and i have never had one run more than 30-40 yards before dropping.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

For an elk rifle I would choose a 30 or 338 caliber cartridge. I would determine what the max range is you feel you can accuratly shoot in the field. I would choose a cartridge that delivers 1800 ft/lbs energy with a heavy for caliber bullet at that range.

I only feel comfortable to 500 yards and hunt with an 06 for elk. A 300 WM is good to around 700 yards and a 338 win mag is good to around 800 yards. Your hunting altitude and bullet choice will also affect the effective range quite a bit.

I hunt at 10,000 feet elevation and my 06 can deliver over 1800 lbs/ke at 650 yards using the 200 grain accubond which is more than adaquate for elk.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

For an elk rifle I would choose a 30 or 338 caliber cartridge. I would determine what the max range is you feel you can accuratly shoot in the field. I would choose a cartridge that delivers 1800 ft/lbs energy with a heavy for caliber bullet at that range.

I only feel comfortable to 500 yards and hunt with an 06 for elk. A 300 WM is good to around 700 yards and a 338 win mag is good to around 800 yards. Your hunting altitude and bullet choice will also affect the effective range quite a bit.

I hunt at 10,000 feet elevation and my 06 can deliver over 1800 lbs/ke at 650 yards using the 200 grain accubond which is more than adaquate for elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.