Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting in usa

Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Spike

Smile hunting in usa

Hi and happy new year everybody

i'm not a us citizen and i'm not a real hunter (small birds every fall and spring by 12 gauge shotgun) but i dream to do a big game hunting trip in the us so i hope someone can help me to make this dream true
is this possible ....to have a license to hunt ...rent a hunting rifle ..which Outfitter do you suggest ....which state ....
my vacation is at june 2010

best regards
Old 01-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

You need to narrow it down a little. The US is a huge country and the hunting opportunities vary consideribly between the 50 states. I'm sure some states allow non-resident aliens to do do-it-yourself hunts. Alaska for instance requires all non-resident aliens to hunt with a registered guide, which increases the cost considerably. It's highly unlikely that you can rent a rifle anywhere. There's far too much liability for people to rent out firearms. Start out by deciding what your maximum budget is as that will dictate what you can and can't do. Then try and figure out what species you can hunt based on license fees, travel expenses, gear you may need to purchase etc. That'll help get you on your way.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

[my vacation is at june 2010] i have a feeling in the month of june big game hunting is a closed season ..you might try a HIGH fence hunt to start ,not a big chalenge but its a start ..i live in CANADA and in june hunting is not permitted.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

If your coming here in June, I'd suggest looking at a hog hunt. Here's a link to where the hog problem is. That should provide a start.

As to guns, yes - many guides will rent/loan you a gun.

If you wanted to go to Florida, here is someone to use (I haven't used him, but know some people who have) who will have a gun for you to use if you can't bring your own and he's within a couple of hours of Miami, Disney, and Cape Canaveral.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

June is pretty limited: most big game hunting is done in the fall. In June you may find a spring bear season. They are controlled by the individual state as far as the seasons. a "canned" hunt- a hunt with an outfitter with pen raised animals, behind high fences- on other words, not wild animals, is another option. They are not controlled by the state, the game being non- native or domesticaly raised. A fair bit of the south (and possibly out west, I am not sure) have year round wild hog hunts. They are considered vermin, and can be hunted year round. It should be easy to find a guide for them, depending on where you want to go.
Where are you going to be, or are you planning to come to the States primarily for your hunt? I believe Maine has spring bear hunts, and a google search for spring bear hunting would tell you more. Just over the border of Maine is New Brunswick, which has spring bear hunts also, with many good outfitters. Rifle renting is generally not done, but when you call outfitters and guides, tell them your situation: many would be willing to loan you a rifle. At least in New York (where I am) a non-resident may hunt without a guide, but you need proof of a hunting safety course where you are from to get a license. Of course then the tough part is figuring out where to go: NY has millions of acres of public accessible land, but not all of it is appropriate for hunting, and none of it has open seasons until fall. Good luck, you have alot of options, just limited quarry in June.