Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
At what point do you mount it? >

At what point do you mount it?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: What size would an elk have to be for you to mount it?
Meat Hunter; I don't mount anything
16.28%
Any bowkill is a trophy and gets mounted
13.95%
270-299"
6.98%
300" or bigger
25.58%
330" or bigger
9.30%
350" or bigger
6.98%
if it's bigger than my current best it gets mounted
20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

At what point do you mount it?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

sak - PM me....apparently I don't have the credentials to send a PM. I have suggestions.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Agreed. If I don't have enough respect for the animal to have it mounted then I don't shoot it. This is why god made does and cows.
True but I also belive if a hunter wants a small buck for meat that is just fine too. Some areas are not highly populated and the does need to be left alone and the bucks need to take the brunt of the meat hunters take. All depends on the situation of the land being hunted. I'm lucky enough I hunt places where I can go after big bucks and fill the freezer with slick heads but not everyone can. Shooting an antlered animal and always hangin it on the wall is my personal standards and is what makes me a satisified hunter but don't beleive everyones has to be that way. As long as you are a happy hunter and take pride in what you shoot, even slick heads, then you have respect for that animal, then you are a true sportsman and don't have to show it by hanging it on the wall. Just wanted to state that. WCL
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

I mounted a a bull elk that has been scored by three amatures (other than myself)from 290 to 315..I scored it at 303.
Reguardless of the score, this is a big bull for the area and region.The area I hunt, elk must have at least 6 points on one side..
If this scores as low 275 I'd still be happy with the mount.
Although I'd make sure the next one mounted was substancially bigger.
The third most important thing though, always have money set aside for mounting before you start the hunt.
The second most important thing, prepare your self in ever way possible for proper field dressing and caping.
The most important thing, DON'T MISS.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also hunt CO and think the trophy bull areas are fairly slim as well except for alot of private lands. We don't shoot any huge bulls nor do we see them hunting the public land we hunt but we see alot of elk and typically have a 50-100% success rate with archery every year for our group. The biggest bull I've probably seen was maybe 300 but we see alot of those small bulls 225-260. I've shot two bulls and the biggest one is just under 250 as a 6x6. I know these aren't monster bulls as they don't even make p&y but they are a trophy to me after a tough hunt. We just enjoy the hunt every year as drawing big bull units take a bit longer but pts are in the making right now. Can't wait to get into some bulls in the 300s one of these years. WCL
Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I kill a Bull 380 +, I will have it mounted. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

My first thought was...after a nice dinner and a bottle of wine...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

There was another thread talking about what the definition of what a "rag horn" bull was. I don't want to get into that discussion here but to me the term seems a little demeaning for such magnificant animals. I mounted my 4x4 from 2 years ago and don't regret it for one moment. I have no idea what it scores because it just didn't matter. Everytime I walk into my living room and I look at it hanging there the great memories come streaming back. It never even occured to me not to mount it. My son-in-laws 5x5 we got last month doesn't have that much bigger of a rack than mine but he is getting his mounted also. They are just such beautiful animals it seems a waist not to preserve them the best way we can. I suppose those that live around these animals all the time may get used to seeing them and a young bull doesn't mean much but for me only having seen a small number during 2 trips in the last 2 years I wanted to preserve as much of the memories as I could. I gues to each his own and one man's rag horn is another man's trophy.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

never have shot a bull elk but did get a cow in 99, being from maine i may never get to shoot another elk, i had the cow mounted it is a lifelong memory and hangs in my familys camp along with many other trophys, it has a good story that goes with it and everybody asks to hear it. dont regret having it done for a second, mabe if i lived somewher i could shot an elk every year it would be diferent. makes it hard to answer this poll for anyone like me. Every animal taken is a trophy to a true hunter
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would mount my 1st 1 and then after that if it were a record breaker.. gl