Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Is there a trend here?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is there a trend here?

Is it me or do I truly notice more threads on this Board and others about well known outfitters whom have given the average Joe the "shaft" on their hunt of a lifetime while being promoted by TV hunting personalities?
ie., Sage Mountain/Wolf Creek, Table Mountain/Dave Watson, etc. on the TV show a glowing report is done in front of a beautiful trophy animal on the outfitter and his services. But when Joe Schmo saves up and books with the same outfitter he get a sub par trip and feels he wasn't shown the better areas of the ranch 'cause they are being held in reserve for the TV crew.
I had this happen to me once on a caribou hunt in Quebec where I was given a rookie guide that had never been in the area before...as a matter of fact he flew in on the same plane I did... while a TV personality was given the Royal treatment. Again it occured to me in Illinois on a whitetail hunt when I hunted prime pre rut chasing period on one of the outfitters ranches only to not see a buck over 115" in 12 days of hard hunting...only to find out 3 other ranches were being held unhunted until another TV crew and hunting celebrity got there the following week.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
bigcountry

I sure ain't sayin its right. But one has to ask "what would you do in the same situation? I mean outfitters are not making a ton. On one hand, valuable advertisng, on the other giving a customer what you portrayed to him knowing he probably saved up for this for a long time and probably can't do this every year.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never have seen the point of hunting with an outfitter. I love hunting because it is challenging, and rewarding when things do come together. It's not about shooting something all the time. I like to put my work into it and play the odds. Anyone can pay someone who has scouted and watched the animals for the better part of a year and get there and take an animal in a few days. Whats the point though. That is truly not what I think hunting is. Even if the tags are expensive for out of state and you only have a few days put your best effort into that hunt and no matter what the outcome is you will have a good time. Those are just my thoughts and I know others have differing opinions and I respect them. At least if you are hunting DIY you know what you can expect and get out of it what you put into it.

One other thing that I thought of after reading big country's post. For the amount that some people pay for these guided hunts they could hunt two to three years for the same amount and get to know the area and better their odds each year.

Last edited by Wheatley; 09-30-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

big country, whom could blame them? Me and every other honest businessman in the country .... someone whom contracts with you for service should recieve the exact same service as the next person. At the very least be told upfront that you'll be given a lesser quality experience than the next person, whomever they be and be offered the opportunity to retract from the contracted service.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

wheatley, to each their own, if you opt to DIY that's great but it has no bearing on what someone else signed a contract for. They chose the guided/outfitted route and IMHO have every right to expect what they contracted for an nothing less.
I've done as many if not more DIY trips as I have guided ones...I was in the biz for many years in Alaska prior to relocating to the lower 48. There is a huge difference in a whitetail or elk hunt one can jump in the truck and drive to in a few days and a hunt that takes place 25 miles from the nearest dirt landing strip.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Potterco
big country, whom could blame them? Me and every other honest businessman in the country .... someone whom contracts with you for service should recieve the exact same service as the next person. At the very least be told upfront that you'll be given a lesser quality experience than the next person, whomever they be and be offered the opportunity to retract from the contracted service.

Very true, its tough doing the right thing. Very expensive and time consuming. But its extremely rare to find an honest businessman.

I have heard dozens upon dozens of small business's claim they are about honesty and integrity, and preach the same thing you are, but turns out they would pull the same thing those outfitters did.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wheatley
I never have seen the point of hunting with an outfitter. I love hunting because it is challenging, and rewarding when things do come together. It's not about shooting something all the time. I like to put my work into it and play the odds. Anyone can pay someone who has scouted and watched the animals for the better part of a year and get there and take an animal in a few days. Whats the point though. That is truly not what I think hunting is. Even if the tags are expensive for out of state and you only have a few days put your best effort into that hunt and no matter what the outcome is you will have a good time. Those are just my thoughts and I know others have differing opinions and I respect them. At least if you are hunting DIY you know what you can expect and get out of it what you put into it.

One other thing that I thought of after reading big country's post. For the amount that some people pay for these guided hunts they could hunt two to three years for the same amount and get to know the area and better their odds each year.
Wheatly, I see where you are coming from to an extent, but you have a lot to learn about outfitted hunts. Probably the biggest is many of them are unguided and just provide food and a camp (these are what I have used on all but 1 of my outfitted trips). Also, you are talking from the perspective of someone who lives in WY. Little different if you want to hunt antelope, elk, or mule deer than if I do just do to geographic location. You can take a weekend and go scout, while I would have to take a whole vacation just to scout and then another one to hunt. Who can do that these days? Lastly, try hunting in Canada w/o an outfitter. Illegal. So, be careful when using blanket statements.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Wheatley

Many reasons why someone might pick an outfittered hunt. I mean imagine if you grew up in a non-hunting family and learned it all on your own at an older age when you got limited vacation, limited money, and a family to tend too. The idea of paying a bunch of money just to learn, is a tough one.

also many just want to see new terrain. Getting a bunch of crap to a remote place is a pain in the butt. Espeically if one doesn't know what too expect.

I know I used to go to Newfoundland. You can't hunt there unless you have an outfitter. But I didn't to see new terrain, and have a new experience. Have someone cook for me.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huntingson,

I hunted a unit this year I knew nothing about and had never even been around the area. Similar to coming from out of state you could say (5-1/2 hour drive for me). I had no clue where to start other than buying the forest service map and studying google earth. This is a general elk hunting area and I am convinced anyone can do this. I understand the legal issues with a guide in certain states. Wyoming requires a guide for wilderness area hunts as well. I started a new job and have little vacation so I could not scout at all either. The first day we found elk, the second day we found a ton of elk. Just couldn't make it happen for an archery shot.

There is no better way to learn than to just get out and try it.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

My opinion is closer to Wheatley's, I'm not a big fan of outfitters. Yea! I know to each their own. As far as the TV personalities, I often wonder how well they would do if they had to do it on their own without being catered to and having someone putting them on the game. I'm sure their trophy rooms wouldn't be the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.