Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 so many questions, please help >

so many questions, please help

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

so many questions, please help

Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: so many questions, please help

You are a hunter. Don't let anyone scare you off with their tales of woe and hardship. You will be fine and love it. If not, you will see right away that it's not for you and you won't go back. Simple.

Your first question is the most important. My bunch has hunted in the part of the state you are talking about going to for several years now. Call the DOW office for that region and politely ask about places to camp and hunt. Their responses are as good as anyone elses, probably better. Lots of public land in that area so your are faced with a daunting task of picking a spot. I would submit that will be your toughest decision. And the one that could impact everything else. Good luck with it.

As for some of your other questions. I wouldn't worry about bears. Unless you are camping somewhere near some trash bears, you got a better chance of being struck by lightning. Always a first time for everything, but we have never had one even come close to camp. Could that be due to the fact that a camp full of unbathed men start to smelling like something that even a bear does't want any part of after a few days? Scares me just thinking about it!

Best advice a couple guys have already suggested. Keep your expectations realistic. Don't lose sight of the fact that you are in some of the most beautiful country in the world and enjoy the process. Learn from your mistakes. You will make them just like everyone else.

Have fun and good luck to ya! I would tell you that if you were going to be up there 1st rifle season and notice that after dark you hear what sounds like a camp full of Texans that sound like they are getting hammered....to come on over.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Spike

A+ game4lunch.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot game4lunch and redriver! I do plan on killing the first legal elk. and I think that we will both consider it a successful trip just to see and hear elk. I'm not saying that I don't have goals though.
Thanks a lot guys!