Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hot Camp Showers???

Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hot Camp Showers???

We've been looking at shower systems to go with our new chitter and shower tent. I almost bought one that was $150 bucks at Sportsman's. After you start reading the fine print you realize they aren't worth a darn. Only raises water temps 20 degrees? They had another one for $400 bucks that seemed really good, but darn, $400 dollars!!! I was thinking about just building one with a deep fryer burner and finding some kind of pump to pump it to the shower. Any of you guys ever tried this? Any advice?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hot Camp Showers???

My buddy made on when we camped out in the missouri breaks for a couple weeks. Bought a small water pump at home depot and had a turkey deep fryer including the pot. 5 gallons equaled on shower and there were 3 of us. We took showers about every other day for two weeks on one bar beque sized propane tank. Worked great.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the guys in our camp, back when I rifle hunted elk, made an indoor/tenthome-made shower. That make sense?? Anyways, we carpet our 16'x32' tent, so to start with we cut a small hole in the carpet and filled the holewith rocks. He had a wooden slat floor to stand on, that he put over the hole in the carpet. He then used 1" pvc and made a frame to hang shower curtain on. The pump part was one of those back pack weed sprayers that he hung on the outside of the shower curtain, and simply stuck the sprayer pump handle through a small slitthat he cut through the shower curtain. Put one gallon of clean creek water in the weed sprayer, pour one gallon of hot water, heated on the propane stove, into the weed sprayer, get in the shower, pump up the weed sprayer, and take a shower. 2 gallons is plenty to take a decent shower.
Worked pretty good and felt dang good.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

For that much trouble and money I think I would just use unscented baby wipes and warm some water on the stove to rinse/wipe offwith a clean rag.

Or, just go roll around in an elk wallow and smell like the elk.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a battery (4 D cell) camp shower that my wife bought new in the box at a garage sale for $5.00. We heat water on the burner in a large pot, dump it in a bucket and add cold water until it is the right temp. Then we take turns going in the woods behind the tent, get naked and take a showerstanding on rubber floor mats from the truck. During muzzleloader season, we usually shower every other day if it is in the 40's or warmer. Rifle season usually a little less since it is colder out. We make our shower days on the warmer, sunny days. On those days we hunt the morning, go back to camp at lunch time, eat lunch, take a shower and go back out for the afternoon. One day we will work our way up to a shower tent. This year we are graduating from a 4 man dome tent to a 12x14 canvas wall tent with a stove.

Last rifle season, we were out there 5 days and didn't shower. We couldn't keep most of water from freezing in the jugs and it was too cold. Thank God for the Hunter Specialities wipes.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did some homework. We are gonna build our own. thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

only one I ever used was one you had to heat up the water, then hang the bag of water/shower....worked great if you have a propane stove to heat the water...

ya 20 degrees warmer max? so....35+20=55 degree shower water? ummm I'll pass.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking into these as well and was unimpressed. I'm was thinking of using the weed sprayer like howler. I haven't tried it but think it will work well.

Spud
Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out and bought a turkey fryer and a used 1500 watt generator. All I need to do now is figure out what kind of pump to get. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Later Bryan
Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I went out and bought a turkey fryer and a used 1500 watt generator. All I need to do now is figure out what kind of pump to get. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Later Bryan
This is very simular to the one I got and all you need as long as you can heat your water.

http://www.disasterstore.com/cobaposh.html

Quick Reply: Hot Camp Showers???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.