Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Do muleys and whitetails interbreed????? >

Do muleys and whitetails interbreed?????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do muleys and whitetails interbreed?????

Old 01-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Do muleys and whitetails interbreed?????

I shot some weird looking deer over the years.and the locals said they were mixed together with muleys.The head and ears were whitetail ,but the antlers sure had muley characteristics.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Do muleys and whitetails interbreed?????

From what I have been told, yes. Whitetails run faster than mulies, so if you have both in the area, the buck whitetails are breeding with the doe mulies. This is part of the reason that in some western states the mule deer population is on the decline.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, they do interbreed, and Scanr1 is right. Also, the offspring from a mixed breeding causes deformaties, and the deer usually don't live quite as long under the right conditions as pure bred deer do. I read that in a magazine, can't remember which one though.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2002, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

They sure do ,we have blactail , mule deer crosses and whitetail , blacktail crosses all in this county. The muledeer dont get into the whitetail area or we would probable have those to.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:46 PM

Yes they do because my dad and eldes sister witnesed it fisthand. They had the oportunity to see a whitetail buck and a mulie doe breeding and it was kinda funny when they stoped the truck to watch them they laid down then when they thought all was safe they got bach up at it again but every time a vehicle went by they laid down again. To bad they did`nt have vidio cams back then. Are bucks that are crosses around here have larger racks and some have split forks and they also have shorter tails with a black streak down there chest with darker hair color and the body weights are 200lbs to 300lbs depending on the age of the deer.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, the local Wildlife biologist shot a big one a few years back. Looked like a whitetail with big ears, and had double forks on each side. Was a big one, that was even shot in my county, which supports very few mulies. He said, an easy way to tell is that mulies will have nubs about their base in a sorta lines and whiteys won't really have a pattern.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Kshunter,Check out the last pic I put on on my webshots site.That was a 7 pt whitetail .Had whitetail head and a big body ,but like miniture Muley antlers.
www.community.webshots.com/user/cardeer51

Edited by - cardeer on 01/23/2002 19:05:37
Old 01-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet that was a cross, Cardeer. It's antlers look too much like a mulie. I've seen some big forked whitetails, but nothing that looked as close to a mulie rack as that.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the buck, that the local biologist shot, it looked just like a Whitetail. The only obvious thing different was the forks on it, and the frame, which was around 28" wide and pretty tall. Otherwise looked just like a whitetail.
Visit My Hunting Page

Quick Reply: Do muleys and whitetails interbreed?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.