Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Newfoundland Moose Outfitters >

Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

Old 03-22-2009, 03:34 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

I had a great time with Grey River Outfitters in 2007. PM me with your e-mail if you want a copy of my journal. - Bruce
Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Spike

We finally booked a hunt... first week in OCT 2009 (hope this is a good week for the rut?) after talking to alot of guys we went with Patey and Son,it was a tough decision, but for what we were looking for I think Patey and son was the best fit for us.

I wanted to say thanks to all who responded "GREAT INFO" keep it coming
You can see by the hits, guys are interested about moose hunting in Newfoundland. please keep sharing those hunting trips & tips

I will post more as this trip evolves

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/
Old 04-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man, you picked a great outfitter!

One thing I can tell you. If you arrive at the main lodge a few days earlier that your schedules hunt, you may get to fly into camp earlier. They don't charge you while you wait at the main lodge either. They have showers and feed you while you wait.

If you are at the main lodge and they have a group that tagged out early, they will fly you into camp early.

Our hunt was supposed to start on friday but we were flown in on wednesday. I got my moose that afternoon.

I guess the way the outfitters looks at it is, he is paying his guides to stay in camp whether they are guiding anyone or waiting for the next group of hunters. So, he might as well send in more hunters.

Hint, go early

We also had our hunt the first week of October.

They have a saying up there, "If you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes."

We had a mix of all types of weather, fog, rain, sleet, sun, wind and warm.

Just take good rain gear! Your gonna have a great time.

I remember being in your shoes and anticipating that hunt. I know what your going through.

Those guides can sure walk. You'll have trouble keeping up. They speak english but the accent is so different it takes you a second to understand what they said. Its funny, you'll see! They understand its hard for us and they will speak slower.

Wait until you hear two of them talking to each other. You'll make out a word or two but its like thy're speaking another language.

You definitely won't go hungry.

The locals up there usually only shoot the young bulls( spikes and four points) because they are more tender. They will pass up big bulls because they are tuff. And they are

It tastes great.

Its pretty wierd, when you first arrive at the main lodge and you pay for your license, they have you fill out a form on how you want your moose butchered. Its like they know you will get one and it will boost your confidence.

I'm not on here very often, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll check in from time to time.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Spike

Thanks windwalker, I have been reading some of the horror stories abouta few bad outfitters don't want to end up in that situation. heard alot of good things about Patey & Sons. thanks for the feed back.

Do you remember what camp you stayed at & did you shoot thatmoose in NF... looks like a nice one !have a great day
Old 04-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read everyone's replies, but GregH went on a moose trip last year.
Maybe locate him and ask for some details
Old 04-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Spike

not sure how to locate him
Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hunted at the Martin Lake camp. Yes, that is my NF moose.

Since we were at the main lodge early, we were going to fly into Terry's Pond camp, but we couldn't get our stuff ready fast enough.

(their float plane is constantly flying back and forth to all the camps to fly in supplies, fly out the moose meatand take hunters out. When its a nice day they try to get all that done but if the weather is bad they don't)

I saw the guys that came out of the Terry's Pond camp and they all had decent moose. I was talking to them before we flew into Martin's lake. They told me to be picky because there were lots of moose.

The two other guys got small moose that were with me. I think their main problem was, they were just tired of walking and wanted to get it over. They weren't prepared to do all that walking.

We were flown in on Wednesday and I got my moose within 20 minutes after we actually started hunting. Wastaken across a lake (they call them ponds) in a boat and dropped off with my guide. We walked 20 minutes to a"look out" saw my moose and shot him at 228 yds.

My one buddy got his the next day. He was aready tired of walking. He's a truck driver and had bad knees. The guide was calling in a bigger moose but it was 1000 yds out. They had a small moose come in and start rubbing trees at 40yds. the big moose come across the scent of a cow and started following her and did not come in. My buddy watched the smaller moose for 20 minutes trying to decide what to do. He ask the guide what to do and the guide said it was up to him if he wanted to pass or not. Since he was wore out he shot. It was really small.

On Friday it was foggy all day and we didn't hunt. Couldn't see 20yds.

OnSaturday, my other buddy got his moose. It was also small. He was tired of walking andjust wanted to get one and be done.

Not sure if my buddies want their pic on the WWW.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Spike

Thanks... I hope to do as good !!!