Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another tag fees rant...

Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another tag fees rant...

Be nice if CO. had 750,000 elk more like 250,000 tho 3,000,000 deer maybe texas but here in Wis. its under 850,000 and we have a large herd according to the DNR.
I have hunted CO. for a long time, Used to be able to draw prime area's with 2 points now over 12, I will never be able to hunt in a prime area again (due to age) probably never be able to get a statewide ML bull tag either. THis year hopefully I will draw 1st rifle season. I cannot walk far enough to get away from hunters in the second season. No I am not going to pay an outfitter to hunt on private land tresspass fee might be an option tho. I am NOT complaining about there system. I was just lucky to be able to hunt when I did. Only problem I have is friends who only put in for points and hunt only once or twice in CO. but get the choice area's. Points are way to cheap IMO.
RC
Old 04-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Redclub good catch. Correction on the 250,000 I wasn't thinking when I put 750,000. And Texas has the largest population between 3.5 -4 million. Sad thing to see the draw get so crazy. They have thought about doing away with the points system and go to a lottery but that would be bad for some of us that are unlucky playing lottery games to begin with. I'm just glad Colorado is still an over the counter elk state so far and we have fought hard on making them not over hunt cows in the late seasons to keep the higher population. There's enough elk for all to hunt with out having to go to the draw system for every unit and every season. Hope you have a great 1st season hunt.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Redclub

Be nice if CO. had 750,000 elk more like 250,000 tho 3,000,000 deer maybe texas but here in Wis. its under 850,000 and we have a large herd according to the DNR.
I have hunted CO. for a long time, Used to be able to draw prime area's with 2 points now over 12, I will never be able to hunt in a prime area again (due to age) probably never be able to get a statewide ML bull tag either. THis year hopefully I will draw 1st rifle season. I cannot walk far enough to get away from hunters in the second season. No I am not going to pay an outfitter to hunt on private land tresspass fee might be an option tho. I am NOT complaining about there system. I was just lucky to be able to hunt when I did. Only problem I have is friends who only put in for points and hunt only once or twice in CO. but get the choice area's. Points are way to cheap IMO.
RC
You might consider RFW hunts. There are a lot of really quality hunts that still only take a few points for bullsand 0 to 1 point for a cow. Look at the RFW's on the western side of the state.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

AreRFW tags for residents only?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

AreRFW tags for residents only?
Yep the free tags are ,but you can pay to hunt on these ranches however for an ol guy on Social security and the stock market taking a dive That is out of the question.
I used to hunt the first season when you could buy over the counter tags, but there were tons of hunters .We would take my horses and pack in to the flat tops wilderness, but there were even a lot of hunters there, Outfitters had all the choice camping spots. One outfitter ran 22 camps in the wilderness but it sure was/is beautiful country up there.
Oh to be a little younger again (for some things)
RC
Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 AM

well i am to dang poor i have put in for bout 5 years now the last 2 years i havent even got my money back what do i do
Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Spike

How much for a bear tag,what is the tag limit per season.