Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Another tag fees rant...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another tag fees rant...

Son, it's like this.

Non-residents are a different species than resident hunters.

Non-resident hunters don't get a chance to vote a politician out of office.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Salukipv1,
IL, now I understand the problem you live in the wrong state! Best idea, "MOVE".
Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is only 1 reason that NR licenses are so expensive and that is b/c they can be and we still pay for them.MT determined the price of their NR guaranteed licenses by raising them until they didn't sell out, and that is where they left it. I am sure many other states have done similar things to determine their prices. IN did that for their deer licenses and turkey licenses. They are rediculous as well, so it is not all western states.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the states really wanted to increase the amount of money brought into their fish & game for their project to better manage the game, they'd lower their non-res. tags, not to the level of resident, but to a level where the average hunter could make it happen more often.
It may seem counter intuitive, but it's like lowering certain taxes that encourage more to invest in capital improvements, buy new equipment, start more businesses, etc., which results in higher total revenue to the gov't.
But the real driving force is the nature of man to prevent this that thinks I want to keep things all to myself, raise non-res. fees,resulting in less total money for such game enhancing projects and less game for all to hunt.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

If the states really wanted to increase the amount of money brought into their fish & game for their project to better manage the game, they'd lower their non-res. tags, not to the level of resident, but to a level where the average hunter could make it happen more often.
It may seem counter intuitive, but it's like lowering certain taxes that encourage more to invest in capital improvements, buy new equipment, start more businesses, etc., which results in higher total revenue to the gov't.
Nah. That's not true. A situation like that only applies if there is an unlimited supply (or relatively unlimited) of whatever is being sold (or being taxed, as in your example). When there is obviously a precise limit on supply, such as nr big gametags, then optimum revenue will be obtained by charging the highest price possible while making sure that no tags are left unsold because of price refusal...so, as long as demand remains high, the economics are pretty sound.

Now, your example may hold some water when it comes to fishing/bird-hunting and other unlimited licenses for NRs.

Let's not even go into the fact that many of these animals are found on FEDERAL land, meaning EVERY US citizen should have equal access to it....logically?
Another argument that may seem sound on the surface but underneath is very shaky. Example: If you personally owned 500 acres in MT, and yet did not live there, you STILL could not hunt there without an NR tag. You could however, hike, birdwatch, or cook out...just like federal land So, the owner of the land is irrelevant in this scenario. It matters only where you live.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the way the tag fees prices are set up.

I will gladly pay what ever your home state is asking for a deer tag. Just as soon I get tired of hunting deer in my home state of Montana.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Spike

I kinda think it's crappy that western states get to charge non-residents over 10 times more for licenses; especially considering that most non-residents will be hunting on national forest land, and will have dramatically lower success rates when not using a guide.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I just paid well in excess of $600 for a MT big game combo tag (which I am happy and feel fortunate to have drawn for a second year), I also understand why it is the way it is. Sure, residents pay like $12 for that tag and I hunt federal land. However, despite being federal land, the support to MANAGE that federal land is STATE, not federal. Additionally, that same federal land I hunt it the only land all the local residents have to hunt.

Now, MT has a very small population compared to many states. If they charged, say, $50 for NR tags and did not limit them, so many NR would come in that the residents would be overwhelmed and not have a chance. I understand that MT has to take care of MT residents first. I am very happy they let me draw a tag and come in and enjoy the great state. I chose not to live there so I could have a better paying job and afford not jus the $600 tag but other things in life. It was a trade-off between that and the hunting/beauty of MT and I'm ok with that.

If they slashed the price but kept the same number of tags, they kill their revenue. I was told that the huge area of MT I was hunting had only 1 patrolling conservation officer -- we're talking an area bigger than many states. Apparently MT fish and game is not rolling in cash to hire tons of conservation officers, so I can see why they do what they do.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

I will gladly pay what ever your home state is asking for a deer tag. Just as soon I get tired of hunting deer in my home state of Montana.

Come to Pa. A hunting tag will cost you $101 and you can buy it over the counter. I paid 1500 for the combo this year out your way.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pats102862

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

Come to Pa. A hunting tag will cost you $101 and you can buy it over the counter. I paid 1500 for the combo this year out your way.
If you want to compare, please do so fairly:

1) If you paid $1500 for a MT combo tag, it was not a regular one but outfitter-sponsored or something, so you can't compare like you're doing. A MT combo tag is about $650 or so.

2) How many deer can you shoot each year in PA? Even residents in MT can only shoot 1 buck. Their deer populations are much smaller and their are far fewer hunters than the densly populated eastern states. You can shoot dozens of deer in Indiana if you get permission in enough counties (1 buck) and many midwestern states allow you to shoot multiple bucks. So the DNR is raking in money from many, many more tags and can allow virtually unlimited non-resident tags to go out. MT limits non-residents to 10% of tags.

It's very hard to make a legitimate comparison between eastern and western states. I think a $650 combo tag in MT is a better value than the $120 whitetail tag in MI.

Quick Reply: Another tag fees rant...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.