Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 I want to hunt elk in 2004 >

I want to hunt elk in 2004

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want to hunt elk in 2004

Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default I want to hunt elk in 2004

I have a big birthday coming up (50) and my too-nice-to-me wife says I should go on an elk hunting trip. Here' s what I have in mind - what little mind I have left. A hunt in the mountains, horses, archery or muz-loader and elk. I used to ride horses a lot and have taken several deer here in Iowa with bow and gun. Here is what I don' t need - a fancy lodge, being babied or big antlers (a cow would be fine). To tip the scales in my favor, I do want a guide and probably a hunt on private land. My dad lives in Colorado and I thought he would want to go too, but he says it would be too much for an old guy like him, so any state would be fine. I guess the reason I' m writing this is because I' m scared to death of finding the " Guide from Hell" and wasting my chance on a fun trip. Thanks to all who might lead me to a reliable outfitter. Jim
Old 04-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I want to hunt elk in 2004

I hunted with an outfitter called crow creek outfitters out of toston montana several years back.The owner mike parsons is a bowhunter himself and he and his staff are great people.There are few trophy bulls but there is a healthy elk population.His prices are very reasonable and you stay in a nice little cabin on the ranch.It is not a fancy hunt but it pretty much matches your description of what you want.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would highly recommend a blackpowder hunt, be it for a bull or cow. In Colorado, you do save considerable by going after a cow ($250 vs. $490). That being said, I am not sure I would pay an outfitter for a cow hunt. I would go after a bull if I hired an outfitter, but figure on paying at least $2500 to get a good hunt. You might consider just finding a private ranch that you can get a " semi-guided hunt for a cow on. The price would probably drop to $1000-1200.

Golden aspens and bugling bulls! What more could you ask for? You will be hooked, I can assure you. Of course, you could archery hunt during the rut too, but the odds are longer. My max range for a bow has always been 30 yards. With a blackpowder, it is 100 yards. Quite a bit of difference.

Sorry, but don' t know any specifics of outfitters/ranches. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey send me an email have a spot for you to check out