Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week >

Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

Old 04-10-2003, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

Attached a few photos of our hunt that only ended a few days ago.
I' m interested in your comments on the purity of the Wapiti/Hybrids down here.
Wapiti were released in NZ about 100 years ago as a gift from President Roosevelt.
Initially we produced stunning heads, of world record proportions. Several with antlers in excess of 60 inchs. Unfortunately the herd has never been managed and there has been considerable hunting pressure by both foot hunters and helicoptors.
The other problem we have is Hybridisation with Red Deer, which has thinned down the bloodlines.
It' s very difficult to find a Pure Wapiti (They are there.) and most of the animals have a degree of hybridisation. None-the less they are still very exciting to hunt.
Last week I heard up to 10 bugling/roaring at the same time in the Valley we hunted. One large Bull visited our fly camp during the night and bugled all night from a bout 50 yards away, unfortunately he melted away into the darkness before daylight. I did get a glimpse of his big creamy body shape and huge rack, but it was too dark to take an accurate shot, so I held back.
In total we took 5 animals. 4 Bulls and a yearling for camp meat. Only one bull was near pure, and unfortunately he was an old animal with only 6 points.
I am impressed by the body size and the tenacity of these animals. They live in a very difficult environment and seem to prefer terrain that is more suited to mountain goats. The hunt is a huge challenge and requires huge physical effort.
I will never forget arriving in a remote canyon after a full days hard climbing, we sat overlooking a remote lake and then all hell broke loose as two Wapiti Bulls started a Bugling Match, the screaming and bugling echoed off the canyon walls...wow. To me this was the highlight of the hunt, even more so than taking a 13 Point Bull. I' ll go back there some day.
Anyways enjoy the snaps.
Regards
Tim Buma

NB: This is a picture of myself with 13 pointer. He came hunting me, growling as he came. I shot him from about 30 yards, a low neck shot from front-on. He dropped on the spot and proceeded to churn up an area of about 20 square yards as he thrashed in his death throes. The Rifle is a 7mm Ruger M77 fitted with a Leupold 3-9X 40

Old 04-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

A picture of the rack form the animal above.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Fork Horn

Three of the four heads we took.
In the foreground is an old 6 Point Bull (Antlers on decline.) The other heads are a 11 point (Back) and my 13 point.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

My hunting Buddy Kevin and his 11 point Bull/Stag.
This animal is showing a high percentage of Red characteristics.
A big body size and was also looking for a fight.
It sure got one when it Tangled with Kev' s Sauer .270.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Great hunt, Great job!
You' re right, they sure can get the blood pumping. I' m sure it was an awesome expreience. Good looking animals Tim.
elknut1
Old 04-11-2003, 12:50 PM

Nice going seems like you had a good trip. Nice animals. What would you guess the dressed wights would be dressed being gutted and skinned with head on. Congratulations
Old 04-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

My guess is the dressed weight with head on would have been around 250 -300 pounds. Only a guess though. The Bull that was near full Wapiti would have been about 20% heavier. They are big beasts. Quite a tussle to get the headskins off and difficult to roll on your own. The young one shot for meat was about 5-6 months old and weighed around 100 pound. (About the size of a Whitetail deer.)
Old 04-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pictures Tim! Congrats again on the hunt. I got to hear a bull elk scream and bugle from 10 yards away this fall and I can agree with you that it is an awesome experience.

Do you plan on doing this hunt again in the future? It sounds as if you found a great area to hunt.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Man I' ll go back at the drop of a hat.
The area is subject to a ballot draw, there are 23 blocks split into 2 X 2week hunting periods. So 46 opportunities. Only about 10 of the blocks are good, and it' s preferable to take the first period (24th March to 6th April.) There is usually about 500 applicants. So you can see, we were lucky to draw. You are allowed up to 6 hunters per block. (We were 4 in number.) Anyone can enter the ballot (Including Americans.) and it is free of charge. This is the 8th time I' ve been down, so starting to get the knowlege to hunt these animals, and their whereabouts.
The fishing was also awesome, Brown Trout in the River (Caught a couple of 3-4 pounders.) and lots of big good eating fish (Sharks included.) & Lobster in the sea. We took a 12 foot Zodiac inflatable and 25 HP motor, so had plenty of opportunity to get around and explore.
We dined like kings.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!

Quick Reply: Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.