Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Biggest mistake?

Old 04-09-2003, 09:50 AM

Default RE: Biggest mistake?

Ok, I' m on board. After seeing that every one of us is capable of being/acting like a moron, I will share my ' experience' . Mine is not a big game story, but one from my first ever turkey hunt.

I was at college in South Dakota, and a friend suggested I try turkey hunting, as he knew I was a whitetail/pheasant/duck fanatic. I had heard it is very addicting, so I was in. I think it goes without saying that I had to run out immediately and buy every last item to at least make me look the part of a pro turkey hunter.

I headed out on a very moist opening morning; to a chunk of public land I had deer hunting once before. As the rain started to fall a bit heavier once I got there, I was starting to think the chunk of woods opposite to the land I knew was public might be looking a little better as the trees looked to provide a little more shelter from the rain. All of this land ran right along the Missouri, most of which was public, and with nothing apprearing to be on the land, I just figured (that is what term irresponsible trespassers use!) it would be ok.

I walked out a few hundred yards and set up camp, putting my hen decoy out in a little opening where I knew a huge gobbler was going to come running into any second. I got out my $11 plastic box call (HEY, I was a poor college kid!) and began to chirp away. I mean no more than 3 or 4 seconds later I got a response! I was stoked. It sounded like it was 300 yards or so away in another grove of trees. I didn' t know exactly how to go about this, so I picked up my rain soaked butt (and butt cushion mind you) and crept about 50 yards closer, then set up again. I chirped out, and again this big ol' turkey responded, and was even louder! I kept looking into this grove of trees, picturing it sprinting out straight at my decoy for an easy shot, but it never happened. Now what do I do? Well, I picked up yet again and moved 50 yards closer..and yes, even louder responses and no turkey. I performed this same scenario a few more times until I was right at the edge of this grove where I KNEW this thing was. I sat there and we called back and forth for what seemed like an hour (but knowing how impatient I am, probably 30 seconds).

I was stumped as to why this obviously very aggressive turkey was not coming to me, even with my crappy calling. I had to improvise. I left the decoy and my 30-pound rainsoaked padded seat behind, and decided this turkey was playing games with me, and I needed to stalk this bad boy. I crept into the grove, walking at a snails pace, just hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I stopped and called, and BAM, he responded, and he was CLOSE. I walked a few more yards and noticed some sort of opening from where the sound was coming from...what the heck...must just be a clearing of some sort??? I walked a few more yards and when I poked my head out there stood a farmer holding a pitch fork, looking at me like I had to be the biggest idiot in history. He didn' t say a word, he simply pointed over to his right, where he had a very large cage, with a turkey, pheasant, peacock, a few quail, and a partridge in a pare tree! He looked back at me and shook his head with a smirk. I didn' t say a word, nor did I need to, I simply turned and walked as fast as my red faced punk butt could go.

That was the last and only time I have been turkey hunting. [&:]
Old 04-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Biggest mistake?

Going with my X brother-in-law. Good luck.