Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 info on fallow deer please ? >

info on fallow deer please ?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

info on fallow deer please ?

Old 04-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default info on fallow deer please ?

hi , as i stated in the other forum i' m planning on going on a hunt for fallow deer , and was wondering if anybody could give me any/all info on them , i think they are beautiful deer but have very little knowledge about them .

any info is greatly appreciated
Old 04-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: info on fallow deer please ?

I' ve hunted Fallow many times.
Maybe the biggest difference I' ve observed compared to most other deer species, is that:
1/. They like to live/feed on the edge of the bush, and will wander out to feed in the open on dusk/night. Often still there in early morning.
2/. They are territorial and tend to stick to a set area and not wander far. Often they' ll return to the same place after they have been disturbed.

Otherwise most usual deer hunting techniques are effective.
I haven' t hunted them in the rut, but beleive they are quite aggressive and vocal.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have 3 different color patterns: white, choclate, and spotted. I personally like the spotted pattern the best. They are more of a herd animal than whitetail. I always thought their antlers look like a cross between an elk and a cariboo. They are good eating!

Good luck

David
Old 04-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info , it' s very helpful and is very appreciated ,
as for antlers , i' ve felt they look kind of like a cross between as caribou and a moose
thank you
Old 04-17-2003, 08:57 PM

We have a few out where I live. The main things I know about them is that i believe they rut from June to August kind of like the axis deer, and i agree with the horns being a cross between a moose and caribou. Personally i like the chocolate color the best. The bad thing about a rut hunt is the extreme heat.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey slate. We are practically neighbors, especially because the ranch I hunt is in Southeast Sutton county. Glad to see you on this forum.

I am not positive, but I think that fallow rut in the fall similar to whitetail (October?). They grow/shed antlers during the same approx. time frame as whitetail. As to axis having an actual rutting time, I haven' t heard that either. I am under the impression that they can breed year round. I know I can go out any time of the year and see some axis with antlers just starting, some half grown, and some hard horned. I have heard that due to fawn survival/age, most of axis are hard horned in the June/August time frame, so that is when most people hunt them. I agree, it is hard to take the heat that time of year in our neck of the woods. Just doesn' t seem like hunting weather when you sweat a ton!

Do you have a ranch outside of Sonora? Ours is the Cardwell ranch located just east of the Redwine ranch south of Roosevelt. Was out there Friday and Sat to get a couple of turkeys. Lots of them this year.

Good hunting and let it rain!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:50 PM

The fallows rut is the same as the whitetail but they hold on to their antlers until April .The gestation period is 234 days as a whitetail is 200.They are very good eating.I raised a few to eat .Their antlers can grow up to a 1.5" a day
Old 04-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

check out this website, they have info on fallow deer, www.deer-uk.com