Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Air Mattress or Cot?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Air Mattress or Cot?

i would go with cot. I was out there the beginning of september and it was cold but not as cold as it is now, Id have to blow my mattress up everynight to get it firm enough to stay off the ground. But id look into a cot with a mat of some sort on it.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the cot will be more comfortable, however, you will still need a mattress on top of the cot for max comfort. Yes, the ground is colder, but with a cot, you have cold air under you, so you still need a layer of insulation on the bottom. Your sleeping bag doesn't help much because you are laying on it negating its "loft" which is what insulates you.

When I am sleeping on the ground, I use a thermarest, when I am sleeping on a cot, I use the thermarest on the cot.

I have never liked real air mattresses because they "wobble" too much.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd suggest looking at the double air matresses. They have the pump built in and are twice as high as the regular. They go for about $90 at Cabelas. Most cots are too noisy IMO.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cot guy here. Get a good heavy duty one and you'll love It!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

A good large cot. Cots don't pop in the middle of the night, they keep you warmer than an air matress, less bulky, quicker to set up and take down, and just as comfortable when you also use a pad.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Air mattresses are certianly comfortable, but they are COLD, plus the pop, and they are heavy. If you are going into the high country when it's cold out, I would suggest a cot. They get cold too, but you can stuff gear under them to help retain a little body heat. I like a cot with a small egg foam mattress (they weigh nothing). It is reasonably comfortable and does not get as cold.

Did I mention to put as much stuff under your cot as you can? Keep that air from moving around underneath you.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spent 10 nights onm a cot this year during 1st and 2nd season here in CO. I was more comfrontable on that than I was when we used to sleep in the trailer to hunt.

So I say go with a cot and then get one opf the self inflating cushions!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a cot as air mattresses do not utililze space well...
Old 12-19-2008, 05:04 AM

You can still sleep on your cot if you poke a hole in it. Try that with an air mattress.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 AM
DM

For me??? Air mattress every time... A cot really bothers my shoulders, and i don't sleep worth a chit on them. A cot is always colder for me than an air mattress too, and i hunt in cold weather a lot.

Of course, i always put down an army blanket first, then i have an air mattress that has a foam pad inside it. Even if the air get's out, it still works, just not as well.

DM

Quick Reply: Air Mattress or Cot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.