Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS >

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Old 01-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I'd like to say that trying to avoid saving a buck may help you avoid these situations, though I'm not sure that's the case. I did once hear a man who had taken many trophies in his lifetime, say, never book a cheap hunt...and I have to say while I don't have near the experience that man had, I have been on quite a few, and hands down the pricier hunts, all were more professional, andbetter experiences, period. Those quality hunts I either took a quality animal or at least felt I could...was in the area, right spot, etc...and just did not get lucky, while the save a buck hunts....were similar in some respects to what you said, drunk boyfriend, unproffessional, etc.. and while had I done well that would probably be more of a side note, its not very surprising that we weren't successful in those situations, so they certainly seem to go hand in hand.

Do wish you didn't have to experience such a bad hunt, I think calling every reference possible is what I'll be doing in the future.
I have read EVERY post from beginning to end regarding this thread. I believe everything huntingson has said. He's a well liked and well respected member here at HNI.Like he said, not being able to take the shot at that bull was onlyPART of his overall disappointment on this hunt. There were several things that were not handled "professionally". This being said, I have toagreewith what salukipv1 says here. He hits the nail on the head. ESPECIALLY his very last statement!Speaking withAS MANY referencesfrom different states/provinces as possible, I believe is the key to going on the hunt you've always dreamed of. Speak to successful, as well asunsuccessful hunters. This gives you a varied picture of the guide/outfitterin question.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:33 PM

You should have taken the shot anyway, if you were sure you could hit the elk.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM

Hello hunters, I was just checkin the www tonight and saw this post on Sage Mountain Outfitters. I was sorry to hear about the bad experience. My buddy and I hunted with Cal the last week of September 2008. It was a fantastic hunt. We stayed at the home ranch cabin and hunted with Cal and another guide. The total experience was nothing short of phenominal. I have been on numerous hunts, west and in Canada. I have to rate my experience at Sage Mountain as one of the best. Constant elk action, close calls, and finally a fantastic bull. My buddy did not score, no blame but his own.We have already booked in 2011.

In 2007, myhunting partner and I spent good $ with an outfitter in Hamilton, MT. The remote horse hunt was a great adventure, but I never saw an elk. I was really Pissed until I thought about the total experience of being on a horse named "Bolt", seeing the effects of a mismanaged national wolf program and enjoing the beauty of Montana and spending time with a great guy. We will never forget the experience or go back!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

nobody calls it the "world wide web" anymore. Nor does anyone say that the were "checking the www". Nobady says "elk action" - just looks really, really cheesy...

Sir - I've got no dog in this fight - but I can tell you............... you are doing yourself no favors.

FH
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM

Sorry Farm Hunter for my internet ignorance! I guess I have spent more time outdoors hunting and fishing than in these chat rooms.

"Elk Action" to me is calling and pursuit of bugling elk, getting busted by cows, seeing numerous elk come to a wallow, and taking a beautiful 6x6.

I'm an honest Wisconsin boy, just looking up the Sage Mtn web site on google, Cal had sent me a note, that he used a picture of the elk taken in his web site. (3rd photo, 2nd from top on left side)when I came across the message board. Thought I wouldtell about my positie experience, but Iguessanother opinion is really not what you care to hear.

Won't try to ruffle anymore feathers, the walleyes are running at Alma and its just about time to go to Wyoming turkey hunting.

Sorry for the suspicious comments, I'm Done!
Enjoy the Hunt!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

Wow!! You know I live in Australia but am well aware of the USA hunting scene and more & more hunts are getting like this every year, it is a discrace. So can anyone recommend a decent Elk Outfitter?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm STRONGLY inclinded to believe huntingson. Why would someone go to the trouble of posting something like that if it wasn't true? It makes no sense! And it's pretty weird that all the newcomers are strongly in defense of sage mtn outfitters. Huntingson has only had his case proven to be the truth for HIS hunt by all this.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gohunt123

Hello hunters, I was just checkin the www tonight and saw this post on Sage Mountain Outfitters. I was sorry to hear about the bad experience. My buddy and I hunted with Cal the last week of September 2008. It was a fantastic hunt. We stayed at the home ranch cabin and hunted with Cal and another guide. The total experience was nothing short of phenominal. I have been on numerous hunts, west and in Canada. I have to rate my experience at Sage Mountain as one of the best. Constant elk action, close calls, and finally a fantastic bull. My buddy did not score, no blame but his own.We have already booked in 2011.

In 2007, myhunting partner and I spent good $ with an outfitter in Hamilton, MT. The remote horse hunt was a great adventure, but I never saw an elk. I was really Pissed until I thought about the total experience of being on a horse named "Bolt", seeing the effects of a mismanaged national wolf program and enjoing the beauty of Montana and spending time with a great guy. We will never forget the experience or go back!
Anyone who has a brain and reads this thread will believe huntingson. I'm glad these morons keep trying to challenge his story, it just keeps it on the front page for more people to see. I can't believe for a minute, that anyone who reads this would book a hunt with Sage Mountain. None of the members here will listen to someone with 1 post backing this guy. Show us a long time member here that has something good to say about them and we would probably believe someone paid them off at this point. LMFAO
Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello Hunters, I was checking the world wide web tonight and saw this post on Sage Mountain Outfitters.

That is some funny non-beliveable chit right ther!!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Sorry to hear of youre bad luck.I'm a guide in Maine and take many bowhunters hunting.I have a very big rule
in my camp.I need to see you shoot before you hunt period!Some bowhunters can shoot effectively out to 50
or 60 yards,but not many.It is your guides responsability to recognize these things, and to make that call.Some
hunters are great at shooting a target,but can't shoot at wild game under pressure!What I do when I see a client
shooting extremely well in camp is have him run in place for a couple of minutes until I tell him to stop and then
tell him to take a shot within 15 seconds.Usually there heart is pounding so fast they can't even hit the target!
I tell them that this is what will happen when that trophy of a lifetime is in front of them.

Quick Reply: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.