Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS >

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

ORIGINAL: NOTREDAME

WELL HUNTINGSON WHILE I AM SURE YOUR HUNT WAS NOT THE DREAM HUNT THAT YOU HAVE IMAGINED IT TO BE I DON'T BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE TOLD THE WHOLE STORY HERE!!!!!!!! THERE IS NO MENTION OF THE EXTREME CROSS WIND THAT WAS BLOWING THAT NIGHT. I HAVE HAD THE GREAT EXPERIENCE TO BE ON SEVERAL HUNTS WITH CAL STUCKY ( OVER 35 ) AND HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD ONE. I AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE COBB RANCH AND THE WAY TO HUNT IT. I WAS ALSO ON A NEIGHBORING RANCH THE EVENING THAT YOU WERE AT THE COBB AND I KNOW WHAT THE WIND WAS LIKE. I HAVE DISCUSSED THIS NIGHT WITH CAL EXTENSIVELY. I BELEIVE THAT SHOULD THE TRUTH BE TOLD CAL SAID THAT TAKING A 45 YARD SHOT IN A STIFF CROSS WIND (THAT NIGHT 30 TO 60 MPH) WOULD BE UNETHICAL. AS YOU BASH THIS MAN AND HIS WIFE AND BUSINESS YOU ARE THE HUNTER AND YOU HAVE ALL OF THE POWER IN YOUR FINGER TO LET THE ARROW FLY. I HAVE KNOW DAN ANTILLA MY WHOLE LIFE AND KNOW FOR A FACT IF DAN SAYS DON'T SHOOT THEN IT WAS NOT AN ETHICAL SHOT IN YOUR MIND YOU KNOW THAT IT WASN'T OR YOU WOULD HAVE LET FLY. I HAVE BEEN BOWHUNTING ALL OF MY LIFE AND HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF TALKING TO 100'S OF HUNTERS WHO HAVE HUNTED WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS YOU ARE THE ONE AND ONLY HUNTER THAT HAS COMPLAINED. I HAVE NO DOULBT THAT THERE WERE SOME ISSUES BUT TO SLANDER A MAN AND HIS FAMILY AND BUSINESS LIKE THIS IS APPALLING TO ME ESPECIALLY SINCE I KNOW OF THIS EVENT ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF YOUR HUNT. I WOULD NOT HAVE SHOT OVER 20 YARDS THAT NIGHT DUE TO THE CROSS WINDS THAT WERE RAGING ON THE FRONT RANGE THAT NIGHT.
LOL. This is the first time I have checked on here in a while do to work, etc. Awesome to see this post really. I am glad he got on here... truly.

Sounds like everyone around there in MT knows everything and deals only in absolutes. Anyone can question me because I know myself and my background and I am comfortable to discuss things. I also know that I was comfortable with the shot and that there certainly was no 30 mph wind when I drew on that bull but he is right the wind did blow like a son of a gun often that day. I also know that Cal Stucky told me directly that any shot over 40 yards in any condition is unethical. Perhaps you just do not know your friend that well. Either that, or he only doesn't want clients to shoot that far??? I don't know the answer there. In fact, I could scan in the letter I received from him stating that "no ethical hunter would take a shot over 40 yards". But then you would just look even more rediculous.

I did not slander anyone because slander has to be untrue. I can understand and appreciate standing up for your friends even when they are wrong, and such is the case here.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Thanks, Huntingson for the review. I have been on several outfitted hunts, and I have yet to see one true to its word. Some better, some worse.
I have been with some fantastic outfitters. In fact, this is the first one I have ever been mistreated by. I am sorry you have had so many bad experiences. I sure hope your luck turns around.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Spike

I am the elder half of the team that was hunting the Cobb ranch that night. There were times when the wind was blowing hard enough that a 20 yard shot was not ethical; there were also times when it was not blowing hard enough to bother a 50 yard shot. I was not with Mr. Antila and my son that night; but my son told me he passed up a shot at that same bull earlier because he felt the wind was blowing too hard, but at the time in dispute the wind was not an issue. To Notre Dame: My son and I have obviously discussed this for hours and hours. We both wrote Cal and explained our concerns, which I stand by. His response was uncompromising and unapologetic; his only "rebuttal" was that my son was unethical. My son and I have also discussed the likelihood that if we had hunted on his ranch (as had Tom Nelson, who recommended the hunt to us) we may have had a wonderful trip. But the miscommunications and non-communications were very real and very bothersome (also addressing the comments by Turkeyward -my son and Iagree that the wounded game policy is fine; what bothered me was that I did not know about it until after the deposit, which was one of the things I explained to Cal when I called him before the trip. When my son spoke with Cal after the hunt, Cal told him he remembered that I was 'upset' about the policy and that he had offered me our deposit back, which was untrue, because what he said was "maybe we can work something out." I wasn't interested in getting my money back; my point was the after-the-deposit notification was a problem.).And if they have a "you can't shoot beyond 40 yard policy," then they should make that clear as well. I don't blame Cal (or the cook, either) for the drunk boyfriend... the food was great, and I don'tbelieve thatthe boyfriendshowing up and being drunk was under her control. But there were a number of issues as explained in the initial post that taken together, and most of all in conjunction with Mr. Antila's refusal to let my son shoot the bull of a lifetime, aresimply unacceptable. I believe to a degree of essential certainty that the reason for Mr. Antila telling my son not to shoot had nothing to do with ethics; I believe thathe did not want an out of state under-30 year old shooting a bull bigger than he had ever taken, and he wanted that bull to stay alive.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Well... isn't that something. Reckon these folks were saving bulls for more "high profile" clientel ?
Sounds to me like a series of unfortunate events indeed.
Spiking a hunt is an un-ethical practice in my book.

Oh yeah... Hey I'm new to the forum, so HI.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Unbelieveable! Two sides to every story but I knew from the get-go that Huntingson was giving us honest evaluations. He has been an honest andvalued member of HNI for quite a while. I believe him and want to thank him for giving this insight on this outfitter.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: olderandwise
I believe to a degree of essential certainty that the reason for Mr. Antila telling my son not to shoot had nothing to do with ethics; I believe thathe did not want an out of state under-30 year old shooting a bull bigger than he had ever taken, and he wanted that bull to stay alive.

IMHO The guide was trying to save that bull so someone with deeper pockets could shoot it on camera for a T.V. show?????????
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Huntingson, I just watched a replay of "Tom Nelson of Dead down wind" hunting with "Sage mountain outfitters". At the end of the show he recommended that I, and all other viewers consider booking with this outfitter. I think he should know about your concerns. It is up to us as sportmans to be ever vigalint. While shows like "Dead Down Wind" aren't responsiblefor the actions of the outfitters. They are responsiblefor bringing these outfitters to our attention. It is the success on their hunts, that make it appealing to us. I fully expect for t.v. celebs. to get favorable treatment, but not to this extent. I for one would contact Tom Nelson at "Dead Down Wind' and let him know that these events happened to you and your father,becausehis crediblity is at stake ever time they recommend a product or service.
Notredame stated, that you should have shot. Well Maybe! The old say in hunting is, "Don't guide the guide",I believe that aplies here as while. First night out, listen to your guide.
We need to police our own rakes and if this is what really happened, and I do believe it did, then you have the added respondsiblityto bring this to the attention of those that have the power to make "Sage Mountain outfitters" asuccessful operation.We can'tand shouldn't stop word of mouth recommendations, those will have to take care of themselves. We just need to help keep folks, from beingduped by uncaring T.V.Celebs. If in the future I see "Dead Down Wind" at "Sage mountain outfitters", I'll know that it is only about them and not really about us as they seem to imply. Unless they don't know, which in turn means, you may not of done your part.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

Hello Huntingson!

Sorry to hear about your hunt. Why not file a report at the "Hunting Report?" You can file the report online: http://www.huntingreport.com/hunt_report.cfm

They are the voice of the traveling hunter (Domestic & International). They accept reports good & bad and are a great resource for the hunter. I highly recommend them.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not trying to discredit anyone.However,I have a few friends that have been hunting with Mr Stuckey for many years.I've actually heard nothing but praise from these guys.They claim the food,hospitality and accomodations and first class.They also claim that the hunting is world class.While I've never been there,I have seen their video footage and that kind of proof doesn't lie.They were at the Cobb ranch in 2007and had a lousy hunt because the fires were blocking the elk migration.I've been meaning to book a hunt for several years but I just don't have the time.

One guy I know from here went outaround 2006 and had apoor hunt and hated his guide.The rest of the guys that he went with had a great hunt however.I'm not saying what the original poster is claiming is wrong.It just hasn't been the same as what my friends have told me.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: finnbear

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

I am always willing to take someone elk hunting. I took two Michigan guys back to Idaho with me this September.
Same here I am allways ready to extend my hand to someone and show them my stomping grounds!! I started doing this years ago with 3 young college students, today 2 of them are deputy sheriffs and 1 is a supervisor in the border patrol, they come back to camp almost every year now!!!
That's good stuff there Finn!!

Quick Reply: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.