Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS >

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

The Stucky family is one of 3 family's featured on a show on Animal Planet called Last American Cowboy. This weeks episode showed Cal's accident and I honestly can't believe he survived that. I hope has a full recovery and have nothing but well wishes for him.

Going back to this issue of this thread I will say one thing. Based on watching the show it's obvious that Cal's first job is ranching (taking care of cattle) with his family so I would imagine the outfitter gig is more of a side deal that probably doesn't make him much money. That would be my guess as to why he isn't spending a lot of time responding the the complaints contained in this thread. On the show the ranch is family owned an operated they are constantly busy with the cattle, sun up to sun down, all week, all year and to this point they haven't even mentioned the outfitting that happens on the ranch. In fact I was trying to figure out where he even fits in time for the outfitting side of the ranch. I just don't think that's his focus. He's a rancher first, that much is obvious.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple friends that have hunted with them for years.In fact,up until his acident,they went every year.Neither one has ever killed a bull but they both generally have chances every single time they go.They either blow it or pass on opportunities.Honestly,I've never heard anything but praise about the man and they've never even brought an elk home.He invited them up to do a spring bear hunt about 4-5 years ago and my one buddy killed a huge black bear.He actually guided them for free.All they paid for was transportation and the tags.He put them up,guided them for a week and fed them without charging them a dime.Having never met the man,I don't have an opinion other than what my buddies have said.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

i refuse to pay a guide to do what i can.its your money but as far as im concerned a waste.do your own hunt,even if ya dont fill your tag its a great experience and fun.most guides ive known are gonna stick it to you or the locals(ie check out pondarosa ranch around burns oregon)if you have to pay to find an animal to kill then tough crap.do it yourself or go home
Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Cool

Originally Posted by jdhogg
i refuse to pay a guide to do what i can.its your money but as far as im concerned a waste.do your own hunt,even if ya dont fill your tag its a great experience and fun.most guides ive known are gonna stick it to you or the locals(ie check out pondarosa ranch around burns oregon)if you have to pay to find an animal to kill then tough crap.do it yourself or go home
I've had 9 elk seasons of great experiences and never kilt an elk yet. I did call a few bulls in slobberin close, and passed on other elk for different reasons. So I know I can find and call bulls and can hunt. I had great experiences mostly by myself as I ten to be a lonewolf( NO idea why, I guess folks just dont like me). I dont regret not having funds to pay a guide...plus I DID IT ON PUBLIC LAND, AND I DID IT MY WAY.

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Last edited by SILVERTIP-CO; 08-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
I've had 9 elk seasons of great experiences and never kilt an elk yet. I did call a few bulls in slobberin close, and passed on other elk for different reasons. So I know I can find and call bulls and can hunt. I had great experiences mostly by myself as I ten to be a lonewolf( NO idea why, I guess folks just dont like me). I dont regret not having funds to pay a guide...plus I DID IT ON PUBLIC LAND, AND I DID IT MY WAY.

(sorry to hijack the thread)

JD and silvertip U two would love it at my camp!!!! It's all public land!! in the morning it's I'm going over here... u can go whereever ya want... OR just get a chair and sit in camp!!! that seems to werk out about every three years or so!!! where I hunt it's spike only...but damn they taste good!!!! and silvertip don't worry iffn ya be a dick.....most in my camp are also LOL!!!!!! thats why we all get along!!! LOL!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hondaguy
Sorry to hear of youre bad luck.I'm a guide in Maine and take many bowhunters hunting.I have a very big rule
in my camp.I need to see you shoot before you hunt period!Some bowhunters can shoot effectively out to 50
or 60 yards,but not many.It is your guides responsability to recognize these things, and to make that call.Some
hunters are great at shooting a target,but can't shoot at wild game under pressure!What I do when I see a client
shooting extremely well in camp is have him run in place for a couple of minutes until I tell him to stop and then
tell him to take a shot within 15 seconds.Usually there heart is pounding so fast they can't even hit the target!
I tell them that this is what will happen when that trophy of a lifetime is in front of them.
Well when I was a Sniper instructor we used to shoot at the students before we had them fire! You know it added a battle field scenario (Realism).......but we were Sniper instructors so you can Imagine how that worked out for the students

I guide hunters all the time, I have never given one of them a marksmanship test to see if they are worthy???? I dont let anyone shoot over our Hog Dogs but that is because you can never predict what a dog is going to do, things happen real fast. But I thought that is why your hunt was over if you wounded an animal???? Outfitter gets his money paying hunter goes home! If I treated people like that I would never get a refferal or a repeat customer. Some people just cant shoot that well while others shoot that paper real well! Just because you can Pin Wheel the 12 ring doesnt mean you can shoot when you are shook up or freezing( Does it??? )
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DM
Am i missing something? How do you know that, that's really true???

DM

No you are not missing anything, that is pure speculation! There is no evidence that I have seen that he has done that. The troubling part I see is that Mr. Sage Mtn. (whatever) only addressed the shot in question! Lets assume for a second the wind was steady @ 30, there are 3 values given to wind that may or may not effect that arrow at that range
1. Full Value-90 deg. (absolute cross wind) big effect @ 45-60
2. Half Value-45 deg (quatering wind)- slight effect @ 45-60
3. No Value- 180/360 (wind @ back or face) No effect @ any

Its kind of suspect that all these people who werent there have put a full value effect on his situation! No one knows but the shooter and probably his guide but due to other questionable issues with his personal guide Im not shure he can be considered credible.
Why didnt Mr. Sage Mtn (whatever) address ALL or ANY of the real issues Mr. Hunter Guy (whatever) had???? Instead he used his one and only chance to reconcile to give Mr. Hunter Guy a (Na Nanee Boo Boo) You know! his business is not hurting, he's all booked up! as a matter of fact, he's running 100% and all his competition is 60-70% at best! What a missed opportunity (Not Smart)!!! Even though no-one gives a #2, I wouldnt book a hunt with them! Not because of what Mr. Hunter Guy has said but rather because of what Mr. Sage Mtn Guy .....DIDNT SAY
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Spike

In your story , you mention (Wolf Creek filming), who are theses people? That is not good buiness sence.

Denis