Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 looking for an elk outfitter >

looking for an elk outfitter

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

looking for an elk outfitter

Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
MJ1

Default looking for an elk outfitter

For those that had a great time bowhunting elk, please recommend the outfitter you used.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: looking for an elk outfitter

Winterhawk Outfitters
Fair chase on public land, check out their website. They claim near 100% shot opportunity like most of them. I hunted the 2nd week out of their base camp and shot a bull. There were 10 otherhunters that week hunting out of base camp. 1 guy hit one that wasn't found, 1 guy missed one at 45 yards. No other shots were taken that I know of, but I think everyone saw Elk. There were about another 10 or 12 hunters hunting out of drop camps, they shot 2 bulls and a cow. As far as opportunities I know one group of 4 hunters at one drop camp said everyone had at least 2 chances.

Good Luck, it,s an awesome experience. I would have had a great week with or without taking a bull.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 PM

I have checked out winterhawk before and I would not pay 4000$ to kill the quality of bulls that are most often harvested with them. Not trying to down talk any of the animals that someone might have harvested, I've just seen a lot larger bulls taken with outfitters for about the same cost. If it's your first elk hunt and you don't care how big of a bull I'm sure the experience would be awesome. I'm picky and an elk hunting fanatic so I'd want atleast a good shot at a 330+ inch bull
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Spike

Clinty Poo
I paid 3,000 and it was worth it for me. I would love to hear about any others that you or anyone else has hunted with, both good and bad. There are a lot of them out there, most with real pretty web sites and exageratedclaims of success. One thing Winterhawk had was 40 or 50 refferences listed. I talked to 11 or 12 both archery and rifle hunters. Some were successful, mostwere not, but everyoneofthem said Winterhawk was everything they said they were. It's not my intention to advertise for Winterhawk, I'm just sharing my experience. All that said I would love to come back and hunt next season and if you or anyone else has an experience to pass along it would probably help someone out.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
MJ1

how did you get it down to 3000
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM

According to their website an Archery elk hunt is 4,000$, maybe that's just a lovely increase in 1,000$ due to inflation. I'm not doubting that it was fun, and they do not claim to bring you to a giant bull. It's all about the experience thats for sure, I was just stating personally I'd want a little better chance at a large bull just due to my background. I wouldn't do a fully guided hunt though, I like to do my own calling and all that jazz. Mj1, there is a part of the website that has outfitters and locations, you might check in to Montana a little. Just from people doing DIY hunts and knowing people that live there they said the quality of bulls over there is good as long as you're willing to work. I'd stay away from the yellowstone area, fricken wolves are killin em off bad.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM

I run a hunting brokerage business. You can email me at [email protected]. I will set you up, no cost, outfitters pay me

Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Spike

MJ1, about a year ago I was where you are now, except I didn't know about this web site. I surfed alot of web sites looking at different outfitters. I came across one who said they discounted outfitters by 25%. I saw Winterhawk was listed and they were one that I had saved as a favorite. They site I'm talking about is called roth graham outfitters. Being a little skeptical I started asking questions and what they told me was they provided Winterhawk with promotional materials such as DVDs and brochures they handed out a sports shows and sent out in the mail. In turn Winterhawk gave them hunts to sell, Roth Graham collected and kept my money and Winterhawk took me hunting. Kind of works well for everyone and all seamed to be on the up and up.
Anyway, take your time and check out as many as you can, see what they offer, decide what works for you. Remember ask alot of questions and ask for references.
One more thing, you might have a hard time reaching people this tome of year, they're still out hunting.
If you can hold out until the first of the year they would love to have someone to talk to. There are also alot of great guys on this web site who are willing to share their experience with you.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Spike

We have used Bar H Outfitters that hunt Unit 12 in Col. Have hunted with them since 2004 strictly drop camps. We always see a ton of elk, if you are after a trophy then this hunt is not for you but if you would like a
general representative bull for Col. We usually see plenty. Our camp is about a four hour horse back ride in. Never see another hunter. They make you feel very wanted and will go outof thre way to see thatyou satisfied with your trip. If you look at there website they are pretty much booked for next year and into 2010. Almost all repeat hunters which I feel says something in itself. We always have several shot opportunites each hunt. After hunting season maybe give them a call and see what they have to say.
Chief 23/Ohio
Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted with Winterhawk 2x's. Both archery hunts. 1st was in 06', 2nd time this past Sept. I enjoy hunting with them very much. They are a first rate outfit, western style hunt. I saw plenty of bulls. Some darn nice ones too. In fact the first time in 06' most every bull I saw was at least a 5x5, and several were 6x6's. I did see 1 spike bull. I came close to nailing a 5x6 at 40yds, but didn't have a clear shot to his vitals. This past Sept. a bull was harvested there that was just huge. So the big ones are there as well. Its certainly not New Mexico type monsters, but its typical for Colorado. I plan on going back again some yr., but likely a drop camp hunt for a change of style.
If you call Larry & Laura they'll send you their info free, and includes their own made DVD. www.winterhawk.com

Quick Reply: looking for an elk outfitter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.