Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hello from Africa!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Hello from Africa!

Hi there

I am new to this forum and want to start some threads on Africa hunting but also want to get to know the huntable game in the US and Europe. I have had many clients that talk about certain species that they have hunted and I do not know what they are talking about. Where can I get info from the internet that will show me photos of the different American and European game animals, their size weight etc.?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hello from Africa!

Welcome to the site. Hope you like it here. I like this site and the realtree.com site. You should be able to search anything you like in the web. You can check out my site for info on pronhorn and mule deer. http://www.antelopeoutfitters.com/
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Thank you for your word of welcome! I will surely have a look at your link and I will Google American and European huntable game species. I can not Google the specific names as I have heard of them but can not remember the different species. Thank you for your help! Appreciate it!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi. Welcome to the site.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Thank you again for the word of welcome. Can anybody tel me what is the difference between a Brown Bear, Grissly Bear and Kodiak Bear? They all look the same to me!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome!!! As for the bears....pretty much the same animal. They just vary in size due to where they are located. The Kodiak is mostly named for the area....Kodiak Island and are one of the largest of the "Grizzly" species. The inland grizzly is much smaller. Alot has to due with it's diet. The salmon eating ones get much bigger.
WW
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Victorhunt.
I would suggest you start with a couple of things to get familiar with the game and non-game species of animals in the areas of the U.S. and/or Canada you might some day decide to visit to hunt.
Use Google to search in the states you might think of going to. For example
"alaska game wildlife"
"wyoming fish and game"
The first one above brough up among others, Alaska's Fish & Game site
http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=aawildlife.main
then they have links to among others "Alaska's Bears"
http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bears.main

Also, I pictured up a nice pocket guide called National Audon Society Field Guide to Mammals. {I'd say this one is North America mammals, since I don't see Africa or other continents' animals. But it has some pretty nice pictures of among others different species of bears, deer, Elk, Moose, Mountain Lions, etc. the areas of our country each are found, habits, habitat, etc. I'm sure you can probably buy it online on that orgs site.

Hope you enjoy. Some day you've got to hunt big game in the Rocky Mountains. If you do, you'll never forget it.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM

I thank you Sir! I will do just that. I will try one of our local online bookshops, they usually have a wide variety of books and if they don't have it, they can order it. Appreciate your help!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

got any pics of what you get to hunt? out here we got black bear, blacktail deer, mule deer, antelope, elk , and the fishing is great..
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 AM

I will try and find pictures of all the animals you mentioned in your post on the NET. I have hear of most of them but never of Blacktail Deer. I have heard of Whitetail Deer before, is this a sub-species?

I like fishing a lot and go as often as time allows me to. I have fished all over Southern Africa. Allthough it is not an indigenous fish, I enjoy bass fishing the most. I also do some trout fishing. I have done surf fishing on the Namibian coast, Vundu (catfish) in Zambia, Bream in Lake Malawi and Tiger fishing in the Zambezi River, in the Caprivi ofNamibia and the Zambezi Valley of Zimbabwe. I often get the oppertunity when I guide clients to do a bit of fishing for Tigerfish. It is an awesome experience, they are predator fish and give you a good fight.

Here are a fewlinksto pictures ofsome animals taken this season by clients of mine:

http://www.victorhunt.com/zimgallery/hunting_ZIM%2013.jpg
This is a Sable Antelope from the Zambezi Valley of Zimbabwe

http://www.victorhunt.com/rsagallery/hunting_NAM%2011.jpg
Huge Cape Eland from the bushveld of Namibia.

http://www.victorhunt.com/rsagallery/hunting_NAM%2013.jpg
Hartmann's Mountain Zebra from the highlands of Namibia.

Enjoy!!!!

Quick Reply: Hello from Africa!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.