Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time. >

Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Old 04-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Wow what a trip. Shot four big bulls/stags one near full blood Wapiti 3 Wap/Red hybrid. Hearing those Wap' s bugling all night and echoing down the canyons was unreal, learnt a lot about hunting thoise critters and they' ve earned a whole lot of new respect. Will post a few photo' s of the heads when I get my films developed.
I took a 13 Point, my mates a 12 and an 11 as well as a very old 6. I alos shot a yearling for camp meat. The 13 is off to the taxidermist.
Thank You guys sincerely for all the tips shared.
Will give you blow by blow account if you' re interested.

TB
Old 04-07-2003, 05:08 AM

I am one who is interested, Tim. A trip to NZ is not out of the question for me, especially now that you have me interested.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

TIM
CONGRATS. Sounds like you had a great time.
Let the stories fly, don' t hold anything back. I' m already grinning and drooling in anticipation. IT' S HARD TO BEAT BUGLIN BULLS AINT IT. ELKNUT1
Old 04-07-2003, 09:48 AM

I' m jealous and excited for you all at the same time! Congrats on a good hunt and a great time.

Old 04-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the hunt Tim, sounds like you guys had a blast! Can' t wait to see the pictures.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

All animals taken would have been possible by bow. All less than 50 yards in thick cover. They came hunting us, growling as they came.
I' d love to have a crack at this bowhuntin'
For all of us there was nervous moments, wandering what could happen with a wounded bull at close quarters.

The sound of bugling and screaming of Wap bulls echoing off the canyon walls, all night long is something I will never forget....awesome...Never slept a wink. One hung around our camp until the early hours, then faded away into the mist on daylight...almost like he was taunting us.
The yearling I shot was swimming across a river right next to camp, at first I made the mistake of trying to shoot below the waterline, which seemed to have minimal effect on the animal. The fatal shot was through the top of the spine, above the waterline. The animal floated downstream and beached only 30 yards from camp, talk about easy camp meat. And it was tender as butter.
Anyone else had experience with shooting an animal in the water.
Refraction, Deflection or does the bullet disintegrate/or have limited penetration after impact into water?