Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What for?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default What for?

In various posts about what hunters have in their day packs, I often see zip ties and parachute cord. I just curious what you use these items for?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What for?

Speaking for me personally:

Zip ties for attaching carcass tags.
We also use different colored zip ties to identifyownership of bagged quarters (which also include backstraps and tenderloins)in order to keep all the meat seperately identifiedfor butcher/package labelling pending the results of the CWD test, no sense in having to throw it ALL away just because one wasn't diligent and let it get mixed up. Get 20 elk quarters in camp, it is easy to lose track of who shot what.

Parachute cord for hanging quarters in trees, and then securing same in the panniers (plus other things).
Parachute cord is like duct tape in the elk woods.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What for?

Parachute cord for me has a million different uses. From hanging quarters as mentioned previously, to tieing up a tarp shelter, to using it as a rope line to cross a river, and the list could go on forever.
Can't really comment on the zip ties as I have never really used them.