Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ontario Bear Hunt

Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Ontario Bear Hunt

Just came back from Ontario, the first week of bear season and now i'm hooked.
There were 7 hunters in camp this week and everyone came home with a bear. I believe there were 2 color phase , 1 with the white triangle on its chest and 4 all black.
My buddy and i hadthe two biggest biggestbears in camp, his a boar that was 6 1/2' and 285lbs and had huge paws. I took a big sow she was 5 1/2' and 245lbs. , short and round.
We took our bears on the 5th day of our hunt, my buddy shot his at 10am. I was probably 2 miles from him and heard the shot and about an hour later he showed up at my stand all smiles. After all the pictures and pats on the back we got his bear back to camp with the guides help and a few extra hands. Then it was my turn!
I was dropped off at 2:45 atmy stand told now you know what to shoot for. 15 minutes later when my bear stepped out i thought oh my god i just beat leonards bear. I was still adjusting things in the blind when the bear showed up but i had ranged the bait at 75yrds. The bear came out looked around and i know had to look right at me (hunting on the ground) and then went to the bait. I put the scope on her and thought it i was pretty steady (i didnt have time to find a rest) and boom, all smoke and when it cleared no bear.
For a first time bear hunter i was a little shook, so i waited for an hour before i went to check and see. In that hour you can start questioning your shooting but i knew i could shoot and the bear made one leap head over heels and slid down the bank . She didnt go ten yards! Then i had a 8k hike outjust to the hard road because they weren't comeing to get me until dark.Canada is a beatutiful country and i got to see alot by foot. Bear hunting is great! I'm new to the forum and if i can figure out the pictures i will try and post both bears. Good Hunting!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ontario Bear Hunt

I took a big sow she was 5 1/2' and 245lbs. , short and round.
Congrats on taking a bear,but I have to ask just how big the other bears were if a 5-1/2' bear was the second largest one taken.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Spike

Of the 3 that i saw 2 were 220-230 range and the other was a small color phase with a blond stripe down its back that was in the 180 range.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are small fall bears.Almost all of the bears taken would be young bears weighing under 200lbs in spring.You should come out to Western Canada where almost all bears harvested are over 6' and over 200lbs in spring,not to mention the fact that we have a two bear limit.It is normal to see more than one bear every day.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations on your bear. If you're happy with it, it doesn't make any difference the size or weight of it. A lot of bears came out of Ontario in the last month and still a lot left though.

Yeah there are probably bigger bears out west but the hunt costs 3 or 4 times as much as an Ontario, I'm pretty sure. If not, I'm sure I'll be corrected. Bear hunts in Ontario run around $1000.00 and up to about $1800.00 if you include meals, catering, etc. I think the western hunts are $3000.00 and up.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of bears came out of Ontario in the last month and still a lot left though.
If the hunters have to resort to shooting such young bears,the bear population in that particular area has a very poor age distribution.That doesn't make for a healthy population.

Bear hunts in Ontario run around $1000.00 and up to about $1800.00 if you include meals, catering, etc. I think the western hunts are $3000.00 and up.
Bear hunts in Alberta and B.C. do cost more,but the limit is two bears,because they have much denser bear populations.You also usually have your choice of several mature bears.