Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

missouri river breaks MT.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM

Default missouri river breaks MT.

Wanted to see if anyone out there has hunted the missouri river breaks in MT.(unit 622) in rifleseason. My dad drew a tag for that unit and we don't now what to expect. We have hunted elk in western montana for15+ years, but neverhuntedeastern montana. If anyone has any info on the size of bulls that are out there that we might see or any stories of there own success. Also not looking for exact location but a general idea of where we could go to get started hunting would be great.(Also any pics).
Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: missouri river breaks MT.

Expect mosquitos, willows, more mosquitos, willows, and big bulls. 2 of my neighbors archery hunted that unit last year, and the one shota 350 class bull, and the other missed a bull that was close to 400. Thats about all I know about the area. Did I mention, MOSQUITOS. Thermacell will be your friend!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Don't know much about the quality of bulls in unit 622 but I do know that I wouldn't worry about bringing bug spray to Montana during rifle season.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh ****, I didn't read that close. Rifle season you won't have to worry about bug spray! LOL My bad. I was thinking archery season, since I have the bug!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted it archery season and saw monster after monster bull . I understand it's easier to hit the lottery then get a rifletag there for a nonresident
Old 09-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

I know nothing of the area
Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

All Forums >> [General Hunting Forums] >> Big Game Hunting >> missouri river breaks MT. Page: [1]
Eastern Montana and western Montana are like two different countries but both require to be in tip top shape. I'll be hunting the same unit as you in a couple of weeks during bow season and even then I haven't had a problem with squitos because the nights get down near freezing and I'm camping and fishin along the missiouri. Seeing bulls is no problem but getting within range during bow season can be a problem. The elk are the most educated elk anyone has hunted and even a good caller gets busted so it may be best to set up an ambush.
Cell phone are of no use there and a grocery store is not near and the road in is narrow with a couple hundred foot drop offs on each side which can make it kinda problematic if pulling a camper or boat.
Good Luck.

Bobby
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the ground isn't frozen yet and it rains do not attempt to drive on the gumbo roads as they will be impassable, just hold tight and wait for some sunshine and a little wind and the roads will be passable again.Do not believe the guys who tell you there are big bulls behind every tree as that simply is not true. There are bulls and big bulls to be sure but they are the exception and not the norm. I have talked guys every year who have eaten that tag rather then not shoot a raghorn.
are you calling me a liar ?

The elk are the most educated elk anyone has hunted and even a good caller gets busted so it may be best to set up an ambush.
That is exactly right they are smart
Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Iknow nothing of the area
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ummm....No I am not calling you a liar. I have lived here my whole lifeand spend alot of time out there,there are not big bulls behind every tree like some guys say. Also if you have only hunted it during bow season it is not the same game as rifle season. Think what you like, I really don't care.

Nemont
That is exactly what I said I hunted it during Archery season and yes the area has very good sized bulls as witness 2-3 of the largest archery trophies taken in recent years. I thinkI must have been in a very special area because the quality of the bulls seen were unbelievable . I am well aware of the differences between archery hunting and rifle hunting .

Quick Reply: missouri river breaks MT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.