Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting ELKY yet?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default RE: Getting ELKY yet?

Hey bugs11, how do you Google Earth the area you are looking to hunt. I have tried doing that before and it didn't really work out for me. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I'm heading to Western Montana on Sept 5th (18 hour drive), so hopefully we'll get settled in late Saturday evening. I'll be there for 10-14 days hunting, I don't have a tag,I'm just going along to help my 3 buddies that did draw.

Will the bulls be bugling this early, or when do they get fired up? This is our first elk hunt, so it will definately be a learning experience!
Bulls tend to get really fired up when the mornings and evening get cooler. If it stays warm they will be a little late like the last two years here in Southern Wyoming. They were still fired up the first week of rifle season.

Also another post you put up you mentioned packing a Kimber 45. Check your regs as some states do not allow bowhunters to carry firearms!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I wish ya luck there Muley! We are hoping to get at least one bull down! Thats our goal anyways, I'm actually pretty glad I didn't draw. This will be a good learning trip for us all. I'm just trying to figure out what I am forgetting.

I have an external frame pack, a Badlands 2200, a Blackawk day pack, lotsa different elk bugles, cow calls, etc. I have 2 good GPSs a compass, a real good headlamp, 2 real good lightweight Pelican flashlights, a Kimber 45 for the side, and a bunch of layering clothes and warm weather clothes.....

If you can think of anything I might be forgetting, let me know! Thanks.

ummm Your bow?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sclwald

I'm heading to Western Montana on Sept 5th (18 hour drive), so hopefully we'll get settled in late Saturday evening. I'll be there for 10-14 days hunting, I don't have a tag,I'm just going along to help my 3 buddies that did draw.

Will the bulls be bugling this early, or when do they get fired up? This is our first elk hunt, so it will definately be a learning experience!
Bulls tend to get really fired up when the mornings and evening get cooler. If it stays warm they will be a little late like the last two years here in Southern Wyoming. They were still fired up the first week of rifle season.

Also another post you put up you mentioned packing a Kimber 45. Check your regs as some states do not allow bowhunters to carry firearms!
Montana does, so no issues (i think that is where he was going)
Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Skeeder1964

Hey bugs11, how do you Google Earth the area you are looking to hunt. I have tried doing that before and it didn't really work out for me. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
shoot me a PM of the drainage location, and I will send you a google earth link then all you do is zoom in...most areas are pretty good for getting an idea...plus the 3d view is fantastic to figure out drains and benches etc.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Took a scenic drive up over the pass last weekend to do a bit of scouting. Spotted a herd of about 300 just behind a hayfield in my area of choice. Haven't picked one out yet but I know where they are. Not only are there plenty of elk I saw four excellent mule deer bucks a bit higher up.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM

RE: Google Earth

Skeeter,

I was showing him Google Earth and he about had an elk cow when he realized that last year they had hunted around these 2large meadows in the middle of some big timber. They were looking for those meadows based on a map and they ended up hunting right around the meadows in a big loop. He could plainly see on Google Earth just how they had managed to do it. He said his hunting buddy would just not believe how close they were to those meadows and never saw them. It was pretty funny, seeing the look on his face and his reaction.

I just downloaded Google Earth and punched in the coordinates from my GPS and bingo I can see where my camp is and the outfitters camp. Give me the lat and long and I can give you a link to a waypoint on Google Earth.

Bugs.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Spike

Hey bugs11, Last week I got on some site and punched my coordinates from Co. and I got a look on a topo map of kind of where I was, but I have dial up internet service where I live and this morning I didn't have time to monkey around to get back there. I did download Google Earth though. I will give you my coordinates of where my camp was last fall, and see what we can come up with, thanks for your help. Unbelievable what you can find with these computers. I just wish I had quicker serving so I wouldn't get so nervous waiting for this slow moving lines. New computer too. I sent you a PM with the Latitude and Longitude coordinates.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 PM

I wish ya luck there Muley! We are hoping to get at least one bull down! Thats our goal anyways, I'm actually pretty glad I didn't draw. This will be a good learning trip for us all. I'm just trying to figure out what I am forgetting.

I have an external frame pack, a Badlands 2200, a Blackawk day pack, lotsa different elk bugles, cow calls, etc. I have 2 good GPSs a compass, a real good headlamp, 2 real good lightweight Pelican flashlights, a Kimber 45 for the side, and a bunch of layering clothes and warm weather clothes.....

If you can think of anything I might be forgetting, let me know! Thanks.
The most important thing you can bring is "forest money" AKA toilet paper. TP is in the back country like cigarettes are in jail.......er, not that i know about jail.[&:] Also, a pack of heartburn tablets, a wipe for the binos, cotton balls smeared with vasoline, they will lite even if dropped in water. I don't use water tablets, but you might want to. Also, chap stick is a good idea. Some elbow length skinning latex gloves are a must. Just some items a lot of people don't relly think of, did I mention TP?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

i went out scouting last week and got with in 500 yards of a group of about 20 with a nice bull. he bugled a couple times answering my calls. had the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. the season is so close yet so far away.

Quick Reply: Getting ELKY yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.