Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting ELKY yet?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: Getting ELKY yet?

I leave next week Wenesday for Montana. I am pumped as I ever could be for my first elk hunt. Looking forward to it more and more every day.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Heading to the city tomorrow to get new boots and gear for the months to come. I am not archery hunting for elk this year, instead doing my first stint as a guide for early rifle sept.15th. My elk hunting will be put on hold until October. Can't wait to guide, should be a fun experience. I have been taking people out hunting for years, but now I will get paid for it. I hope my hunters are ready for the woods of North Central Idaho, I guarantee they will loose a couple pounds no matter how good the camp food is by the time their 10 days are over. The weather has been cooler this summer, and we have had a couple early fall like rain storms in the last week or so, the bulls may hit rut a little earlier this year than last. I hope the cool streak continues as it makes hunting and meat care allot easier.
Good Luck, Have Fun, and be Safe in the Elk Woods.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

18th september i head out to Colorado and am getting real hyped up now , as this is my first bowhunt ever and Elk hunt . Its gonna be amazing even if i don't fill my tag , i just want to be in the Mountains when them Elk start bugling .
Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

I can already hear'em, smell 'em, and see'em and I canenvision the bullet strike-reactions.... K-THUD-stagger-flop.... it maybechallenging to improve on last year; however, I fully expect to do so.

So yes, I find myself thinking about it quite a bit, no big hurry to get to it though, it will be here soon enough, there is lots of preparation to be done.

We are going for Colorado'sOctober 11th first season rifle opener; we like to get to them before they get all wised up and skittish. I dohope they are bugling as it isalways a nice touch while waiting for sunrise. I hope the numbers are up this year (it varies a lot from year to year), 300 is a lot more fun to see than 30.

Really, the camaraderie, the packing (on horses), camp life, and the butcheringare the best parts of the huntand sure lasts longer than the 20 second kill window. That kill window rigorously and convincinglyexecuted is a nice rush though.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley699

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I wish ya luck there Muley! We are hoping to get at least one bull down! Thats our goal anyways, I'm actually pretty glad I didn't draw. This will be a good learning trip for us all. I'm just trying to figure out what I am forgetting.

I have an external frame pack, a Badlands 2200, a Blackawk day pack, lotsa different elk bugles, cow calls, etc. I have 2 good GPSs a compass, a real good headlamp, 2 real good lightweight Pelican flashlights, a Kimber 45 for the side, and a bunch of layering clothes and warm weather clothes.....

If you can think of anything I might be forgetting, let me know! Thanks.
The most important thing you can bring is "forest money" AKA toilet paper. TP is in the back country like cigarettes are in jail.......er, not that i know about jail.[&:] Also, a pack of heartburn tablets, a wipe for the binos, cotton balls smeared with vasoline, they will lite even if dropped in water. I don't use water tablets, but you might want to. Also, chap stick is a good idea. Some elbow length skinning latex gloves are a must. Just some items a lot of people don't relly think of, did I mention TP?
I don't have a tag, I'm just going along to be a pack mule this year, so now bow for me......I am taking it along though, me and the other guy that didn't draw just might end up in Idaho!

TP is already packed, I don't leave home without it! hahaha The cotton ball trick is one I heard along time ago, thanks for the heads up on it, I completely forgot it! So I will be sure to pack cotton balls now. I'll also be picking up some elbow length skinning gloves and some chap stick.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Spike

17 days and counting for New Mexico archery...getting "elky"...Oh yeah baby!!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm leaving for Wyoming for opening day of rifle season in the wilderness areas in 22 days. Hopefully I'll be in the woods in the dark on the morning of the 20th!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

You guys that get to Elk hunt are the luckiest.... Im so Jealous! Best of luck to all
Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 AM

Heading for Hell's canyon for the 10th. Planning about 8 days in the woods. Was out in July for a long weekend scouting and saw 2 bulls and 3 cows. The outfitter who packed is on saw 6 bulls the same weekend. Looking forward to a good vocal early season. Hope to have pictures to post after, good luck.