Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico Elk hunt

Old 08-13-2008, 08:37 PM

Default New Mexico Elk hunt

WE've drawn tags for unit two. If anyone has hunted the unit or lives in the area any info would be a great help.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Mexico Elk hunt

I killed a cow elk in Unit 2b at Gas Buggyright next(west) of the Jicarilla Recervation. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Would be interested in more info on other elk you saw and where. We will be archery hunt and need all the help we can get. Thanks for the info Handloader.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you BonnerBuck. Around Gas Buggy on the day before the hunt we saw about 5 cows right off the road in the forest. Opening day (weekend just before Thanksgiving)we saw nothing. Sunday we saw a heard of 10 cows and one spike bull running at 200 yds. I found a cow in my scope and droped her.

If I was you, I would hunt right next to the Jicarilla Reservation. The elk like to bed in the Carson National Forest, and spend the day in the Jicarilla, so look where they are coming in and out. If the elk are vocalizing,I would try to call a elk out of the Jicarilla. The Jicarilla G&F are very strict, so stay out of there. You are going to have to scout, and find out where they are because it is not goin tobe a tough hunt.

I only huntedaroung Gas Buggy, so be prepared to be very flexable. Sorry I could not help you more. Good luck.