Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Backpack List....OK??

Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Backpack List....OK??

Hi guys (and gals)....I'm starting to prepare my list for this year's backpack rifle hunt in Idaho. I'll post the list and am going to ask for suggestions on other addition/deletions to the list. We will be packing 2-3 miles from the trailhead into a roadless area and will cover 2200 vertical feet in the first mile and a half, so I'm trying to keep the weight as low as possible.

Meals-
Instant Coffee, Granola, Instant Oatmeal
Dehydrated dinners, etc.

Clothing-
3 pr hiking socks, 2 pairs liners
1 pr boots
1 pr camp pants
2 long sleeve shirts
1 mid weight jacket
under armour
gloves

Gear-
Tent
tarp
backpack stove
Ax
Rifle/Ammo
First Aid kit
Knife/whetstone
Sleeping Bag/pad
Binocs
Rangefinder
Titanium pot
Toiletries
200 feet string/game bags
camera
GPS/topos
flashlight/headlamp
Lantern (has anyone found a good lightweight battery powered one?)
water bottle
fuel for stove
water purifier

I figured everything to be about 65 pounds, including pack weight. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Default RE: Backpack List....OK??

Wal-mart has some cheap backpack type LED laterns that take3 AA batteries and put out a decent amount of light. I picked up a few for the home, when the power goes out. Also, I've read about some real light weight lights at Radio Shack, Brinkman GO-LED item 809-3054-1/63-156.

65 lbs. is a lot to hump, I'd look at ways to lighten the load.

Might want to add a candle, firestarters, matches, and Advil to your list.I suggest a back-up knife also.

Bugs.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite saying about backpacking is "ounces make pounds".
You didn't say how long your trip is, but I can do a 10 day backpack hunt with a 60 lb. pack.
I think if you're already taking a headlamp forget about the lantern. Might want to leave the tarp at home too.
My $.03 (inflation)
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Wetwipes
tiny saw "elk bones aint like deer"

65pounds is pretty heavy my pack in utah last yr wasnt that heavy and dang it
was heavy after a few hours

Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

We'll be hunting 7 days, staying 9....getting there 2 days early. I learned my lesson the last time we went. I tried to do too much to help my dad and a out of shape friend. I packed 85 pounds 4 miles in rugged terrain. I'm 5-9 165 pounds....and it justa bout killed me.

Now, I'm lightening the load, the out of shape friend is staying home and we're getting there early to recoup from the pack in...and probably do a little scouting.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM

You'll be fine with your pack. Worry about getting the elk out of the hole you shoot it down in! After you've hiked your pack in and hunted hard for days the real work begins when you're feeling like celebrating instead of doing the hardest part. It's very rewarding, but don't waste good meat. That's illegal and bad practice. Boning out everything is the way to go. You may need to leave part of a sex organ on for identification, but don't carry the bones, they're heavy
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jjwillie

Hi guys (and gals)....I'm starting to prepare my list for this year's backpack rifle hunt in Idaho. I'll post the list and am going to ask for suggestions on other addition/deletions to the list. We will be packing 2-3 miles from the trailhead into a roadless area and will cover 2200 vertical feet in the first mile and a half, so I'm trying to keep the weight as low as possible.

Meals-
Instant Coffee, Granola, Instant Oatmeal
Dehydrated dinners, etc.

Clothing-
3 pr hiking socks, 2 pairs liners
1 pr boots
1 pr camp pants
2 long sleeve shirts
1 mid weight jacket
under armour
gloves

Gear-
Tent
tarp
backpack stove
Ax
Rifle/Ammo
First Aid kit
Knife/whetstone
Sleeping Bag/pad
Binocs
Rangefinder
Titanium pot
Toiletries
200 feet string/game bags
camera
GPS/topos
flashlight/headlamp
Lantern (has anyone found a good lightweight battery powered one?)
water bottle
fuel for stove
water purifier

I figured everything to be about 65 pounds, including pack weight. Any suggestions? Thanks
For a meal I have started taking the pouches of dehydrated loaded baked potatoes and a packet of instant turkey gravy, if you take a can of chicken meat along to put on the gravy it makes a great meal, 2 of the potato packs and two gravy and one can of chicken feeds 4. A bottle of tabasco and some johnny's season salt makes the dehydrated meals taste better, and you can use the johnny's on grouse if you get some.
I would leave the ax and get a lightweight gerber hatchet. A pair of sandals or flip flops are nice for camp to get out of the boots. I don't take a tent, just two light weight 8x10 tarps and parachute cord to make a shelter if it rains or snows, bugs are usually gone by fall, and tarps are lighter to pack. I wouldn't take a lantern either, just a headlamp and a small hand held light for backup. Some fire starter and a couple candles can be a good addition.
Put some extra excedrine pain pills in your first aid kit, along with some cough drops, and a couple packs of theraflu, after getting sick in the back country a couple times it is worth having with you.
If you are going with other people, don't double up on everything, share the load. You only need one stove with fuel, water filter, cooking pot, gps, rangefinder etc.... unless you will be seperated allot. Bring the extra gear but leave in truck, that way if something fails you can come out to get a replacement.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

MTMountain man-
Thanks for the advice. unfortunately I learned that lesson all to well on a previous hunt. We were hunting this same unit and it was the last day of our hunt. We were packing back to the truck and I jumped a nice 28" mule deer. I shot him and as my buddy was carrying our rifles back to the truck, he jumped a 4x4 elk and shot him. We had two animals to get out in 6 hours. I don't think I ever worked so hard in my life.

I agree though...IMO backpacking in is the only way to go. Not taking anything away from other hunting methods, but there's something real primal about being on your own, without the conforts of home
Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'd 2nd the thought of ditching the lantern. I'd also ditch the Ax. Another way to save weight might be to ditch the stove and fuel and cook on a fire. If all you're doing is boiling water and there isn't a fire ban and there's plenty of fuel...why not? And, if that is the case then why not leave the purifier at home and carry something for the taste of the boiled water. That should be about 5lbs right there. You could also ditch the wetstone and just take a diamond honing rod. Lighter and mostlikely all you'll need. Hopefully your also looking at sharing things with your dad that can be divided between the two of you...tent & cooking stuff and even the GPS and range finder if you're staying together.

Spud
Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. String is okay, but I would take some rope.
2. Wind detector or puffer.
3. Make sure your first aid kit has super glue.(works better than stitches from the hospital)
4. Not for everyone, but I always take reflective tacks. If I find a spotI want to be in the morning, I can mark it and get there early, quiet,and right where I want to be.
5. Your gonna need more than a knife to clean an elk, your gonna need a saw at least

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Backpack List....OK??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.